insulating garage wall & ceiling

Old 12-04-05, 06:47 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
insulating garage wall & ceiling

i live in Suffolk County in NY. My garage is attached to the house and no bedrooms are above. Only the side attached to the house and 1/2 of the ceiling were covered with drywall (5/8" inch thick). Now I want to finish the other half of the garage (i.e. the wall facing outside and the other half of the ceiling).

What kind of insulation should I put behind the drywall ? What R-value ?

Since the side attached to the house is covered with drywall, I can only assume there is insulation inside. Should I take out part of drywall and find out what insulation is used, and then use the same for the other side of the wall ?

Thanks !!

Old 12-04-05, 08:39 PM
L
Owens Corning has a calculator to recommend what kind of insulation to put into your house. Just enter some info and it will tell you.

http://www.owenscorning.com/around/r...?ckie=complete

Old 12-05-05, 07:06 AM
If your walls are 2x4 construction, you can only put in R-ll or the max R-19 if it is made a certain way. You can only put in insulation as thick or as deep as your walls are. Good Luck

Old 12-05-05, 09:34 AM
M
thanks guys... the site is great..

in general, is it needed to insulate the sides of the garage that are not attached to the house ? Is there building code that regulates it ?

The last thing I want is not to put insulation (or below minimal requirement) when the law actually requires insulation...

Thanks !!

Old 12-05-05, 09:48 AM
I know of no code that says you must insulate your garage sides that do not attach to your house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: