Magnetic limit switches on openers

Old 12-07-05, 10:43 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Magnetic limit switches on openers

Thought I'd share a recent learning experience with installing a garage door opener.

I've installed probably 25 or 30 gragage door openers over the years but ran into a problem recently I'd not encountered before. About 75% of the ones I had previously installed were various Genie screw drive models. In the past, the open and close limit switches were microswitches with little plastic arms to sense the carriage block position. The new one (a Genie Excellerator model) I installed this week uses magnetic switches instead. After installation, the door would stop when it had opened only about 14"-16". I uncoupled it and the door operated extremely smooth. I finally figured out that the metal door itself was triggering the magnetic sensor on the close limit switch. Reading the instructions, I learned that the rail needs to clear the top of the door by 2-1/2". All you had to do with the previous models was to make sure that the door didn't touch the rail. With the new magnetic limit switches, you need to make sure that the door clears the rail by 2-1/2".

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-05, 05:57 PM
I believe all Genie models stated that you needed a min. of 2 1/2 inches.Those old swing arm type are bad news.I live on the coast and salt air from the beach/rivers corode them.I tell people to clean the contacts a min. of once a year.Plus if your on a low ceiling, the arm will hit the door and stop operation, i've had to cut the bottom off the arm an 1" or so to clear the door a few times

Old 12-28-05, 11:15 AM
You are correct in saying that all models now state that you need 2.5" clearance. I found this out when I bought a new "regular" Genie screw drive unit for my other garage door. Turns out I was looking at an old (8-10 year) installation manual I'd saved along with all the parts (except the motor) from a unit I'd robbed the motor/head from. That old manual said nothing about maintaining 2.5" of clearance. It just said it needed to clear it.

Another interesting thing I found out is that the rails for an "Excellerator" model are different from other models. That's why I bought a "regular" Genie screw drive model for my other door. I wanted to use the 38" center section from the parts I'd saved to make an opener for my 18' wide by 10.5' tall sectional door. I priced openers for this door and everybody would refer me to a commercial door company. Those guys all wanted $700-$800 for an opener and that didn't even include remote controls!