Garage Door Opener Install Prob: Beam In The Way- Chop 2in Off Rail ?

Old 12-13-05, 06:26 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Garage Door Opener Install Prob: Beam In The Way- Chop 2in Off Rail ?

Hi,
I'm trying to install a Sears screw-type GDO, in place of the old,old genie that finally died....BUT - I have found that there is a beam in the way that won't let the motor unit swing up to make the travel rail. It looks to me that if I were to chop of 2inches off the rail (the end away from the motor), that there would be enough room for the motor to fit in with perhaps 1/2" space from installed motor to beam.
I don't see anything wrong with this as long as I make sure that the garage door can still open all the way - if I were to buy a special 'short travel rail' component, it wouldn't be any different than taking a hacksaw to the normal one, right ? or is there some safety regulation that would prohibit this??

Do you'all have an opinion/comments on this??

Old 12-13-05, 10:51 PM
eatatjoz
Visiting Guest
It'll be just fine. Two inches is not a problem unless you have a 7'6" door. Hack it off!

Make sure that you clean the shavings out of there afterwards, and put the nose piece in the correct place.

Make sure to eat your Wheaties though, if 2" involves that screw then it will not be much fun. Cutting through that hardened screw with a hacksaw is a bit of work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: