Adding Stemwall to detached garage

Old 01-03-06, 12:11 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Is this possible? My detatched garage currently has sill plates and consequently siding that go to ground level since the slab is not raised. Is it possible to support the garage and remove say the bottom 1 foot of the studs one wall at a time and build a stem wall out of brick or concrete to rest the new stemwall on?

Or another thought I had was possibly using the plastic lumber as sill plates and using plastic or cement board for about the bottom 8" outside to keep the siding off the ground. Any thoughts? My garage is in pretty good shape so I would like to keep it as opposed to a tear down and rebuild.

Thanks,

Ross

Old 01-03-06, 05:24 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Your garage does not weigh much, so could raise or support the entire garage and do all walls at the same time. Since you will be doing masonry work, it will eliminate setting up and cleaing several times. It is possible to go wall by wall

I would use 6" or 8" block. Forming and pouring concrete is too muc if a hassel. I would drill holes in the slab where you currently have the garage attached (if it is) and epoxy or groun in anchor bolts sp you someting to attach your new pressure treated plate to. It is really not necessary to use solid or solid top block unless you are worried about the wood failing where it is not supported.

For height, you can use a couple of 8" high block (actually 7 5/8") high or one 8" high and a 4" high unit.

Cut off the section of the old studs and use a new plate marked and drilled for the bolts.

This will get you high enough up to prevent the wood from rotting and a 12" spacing from termites.

Good luck.

Dick

Old 01-03-06, 05:51 PM
O
Thanks for the response. I have a question though. As for drilling the holes in the slab, should that be in the blocks? Or were you saying I should drill in the slab and bolt the blocks down too?

Thanks,

Ross

Old 01-03-06, 06:13 PM

Ross -

As I mentioned, your garage does not weigh much, so you will have to hold it down and prevent it from tipping or sliding. your slab is probably heavier than the garage itself.

I was not totally joking when I mentioned yours may not be attached since omitted anchor bolts or lost nuts are all too common - maybe more so on homes because the sills, rim joists and subfloor can go up fast and hide everything. A lightweight detatched garage is very susceptible to winds.

You should anchor the garage directly to your foundation slab with the bolts and nuts on top of the sill. Your building inspector can give you guidance on the spacing.

Lay the block over and around the bolts. It is good practice to fill the block core where there is a bolt. If you use solid block, you can make the bolts fall where there is a mortar joint.

Good luck.

Dick

Old 01-03-06, 07:42 PM
O
ok, I understand. So they make anchor bolts that long....I would assume I would need almost 20" bolts to do that. I didn't realize they came that long.

Old 01-03-06, 08:05 PM

You can get them. They are not that much more, but a little harder to find.

Actually some codes require 16" embedment into a masonry wall, but this is frequently overlooked.

Usually stem walls are built up from a footing and the bolts do not have to be as long since it is one continuous wall. In that case, the slab is floating inside the stem walls.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: