damp garage- why and what to do

Old 01-18-06, 06:16 AM
jamdanaur
Visiting Guest

we just had a garage built here in upstate new york. it is 24 x 24 and it seems much damper than the old garage which was located in the bottom 1/4 of our house. we put 3 1/2 insulation in the walls and 6 inches in the ceiling. the oustide is tyvek wrapped with vinyl siding. we are getting a great deal of condensation on the windows of the garage doors and the entry door. i did tap an air register into the garage from the house which circulates in from our furnace's blower and this did not seem to correct the problem.
any ideas why we have such a condensation issue and are there any suggestions to fix it short of running a dehumidifier out there.
also, this seems more noticeable when it has been colder. we have had a few mild days in the 50s since completion in november and the condensation was less pronounced.
thanks.

Old 01-18-06, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

A great deal of your moisture could be coming from the concrete. Since the garage was completed in November, you have not had a lot of time under good conditions (temperature) for the concrete to cure. Concrete cures very little below 50 degrees.

The colder the surface, the mose condensation you will get.

Give the concrete a change to finish curing before you do anything.

Dick

Old 01-18-06, 03:40 PM
Received 26 Votes on 26 Posts
Are the garage doors insulated (Glass to?) I have a non-insulated door on a detatched garage and when I heat it, I get condensation on the glass and inside the door panels. I'm from upstate NY also, May have even put your doors on

Old 01-18-06, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
jamdanuer:
Warm inside, cold outside condensation appears. Your new concrete floor is curing and giving off heat. The same for your house door. Your house is warmer then your garage, so condensation. One thing you could do is to leave a door open for a day or a window in your garage and let some of the heat escape and the inside cool off. Once your concrete has cured it will probably stop. Good Luck

Old 01-18-06, 08:57 PM
jamdanaur
Visiting Guest
thanks for the input. the garage doors are insulated and have insulated glass. we have two windows with insulated glass too. i'll try leaving a window cracked to help out. the vent in the garage puts very little air into the garage. perhaps i should close it for the time being. i feel better knowing that it won't be quite as bad next winter after a spring, summer, and fall to let the concrete cure.
i appreciate all of your input.
james

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: