Strange Garage Door (Safety Light) Problem. Need Help Please.

Old 01-28-06, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Strange Garage Door (Safety Light) Problem. Need Help Please.

I have had my garage door opener for about 4 years and the door itself is about 3 years old.

I have had very few problems until about a week ago.

My garage door has started opening with no problems, but when it tries to close it cannot because the safety light at the bottom of the garage is blinking (the light that tells the system something is blocking it).

It is definitely NOT something blocking the light (like a stick or leaf, etc...).

My original thought that something was blocking, or that the lights were not lined up properly. I spent time measuring the light height, the angle and just about everything else and I could not get it to work.

The past couple of times, my wife or I just simply took it off the opener and shut it. When I got home at night, I hooked the opener back up and it would always work just fine.

My theory then was that maybe the sun reflecting on the light across the garage door was keeping the two lights from "seeing" each other. After asking a few people, they all said that the sun cannot do that.

Today, I was working on it, when I decided to test my theory. I covered the light from the sun, and it kept blinking (not allowing the garage door to work). I noticed other places besides right at the light where the safety light was covered by the sun. I pulled my vehicle up and blocked out all of the sun from the light all the way across the safety light until the shade from the roof blocked the rest. At that point, the light was steady and the garage door worked just fine.

It only happens during the mid-morning to mid day time slot. It has never happened before, so I am curious as to why it is happening now.

My problem:

How in the heck can I block the sun so that my safety lights do not have any trouble seeing each other?
When I covered just the light in the sun, it would not work because the sun was still crossing the light further away from the light itself in the middle.

What I have tried:
Put a paper bag so that it blocks the sun from the safety light.
COver the top and side of the safety light.
-None of those worked because the light beam must be completely blocked from sun.

I am at a total loss for ideas.

I know this will go away as the season progresses, but it is a major pain for now.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-06, 10:46 AM
eatatjoz
Visiting Guest
Reverse the photocells.
Take the one from the right side and put it on the left, and vice versa. That usually solves the problem.

If this is a Linear unit, replace the photocells. The new ones are tinted and should solve the problem.

Old 01-28-06, 01:53 PM
Great idea. I will try that right away and test it in th emorning.

Can I buy a new lens? I just assumed I would have to buy the entire unit.

Thanks again

Old 01-28-06, 05:20 PM
eatatjoz
Visiting Guest
The photocells come as a pair, you cannot replace just the lens (I may not have made myself very clear on that, sorry)
The comment about changing the Linear photocells was due to a manufacturing change. The newer ones have a coating over the lens, and the older ones do not.

Old 01-28-06, 07:16 PM
Thanks for that clarification. I am going to check into some and see how much they are. It is not a big deal on the weekend, but when you are running late or have to be somewhere ASAP, it is a major pain.