Plan on building a garage with bonus room on top

Old 02-15-06, 09:54 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Plan on building a garage with bonus room on top

Hi,

I'm moving into my new older home on March 10th in Tampa, FL. I have plans to build a 2 car garage with a bonus room on top that will be a dedicated home theater. there is currently a 2 car carport which is where I believe the building will be going.

I've had lofty ideas that 20-25k was going to cover it, but as I read more and more everyday, it seems like this may not cover the cost of building. I want to try and do as much work as possible on my own and sub contract out the areas that I simply will not be able to do. I have very little building experience (I've torn down and replaced an existing wall)...

I'm looking for reading materials and resources on planning, budgeting, sub contracting, building, etc.... Again, I want to do as much work myself, but I have little to no experience.

Any advice on where to start with this serious undertaking? Any books that use current practices for me to reference?

Last edited by rkruege1; 02-18-06 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-16-06, 03:47 AM
Rkruge1

What size of garage are you planning on building ? Give me the following information and I will be glad to help you. Size of garage, number of garage doors, number of passage doors, number of windows both up and down, and type of siding. With that I will be glad to help you.

Old 02-18-06, 07:33 AM
R
Thanks for your reply and interest Jack!

I have not moved into the home yet, so actual dimensions and the room I have to work with is not quite firm. There shouldn't be a problem with space as far as I could see, there's already a 2 car carport in place on a half circle driveway. Until then , I'll fill in the other details...

I'm not sure what the standard size is, but I'm looking for a 2 car size with a little extra storage, there will be no windows for either the garage or the room on top. It will be a single garage door design, probably 2 passage doors, and to keep the same look with the house, wood panel siding. It will have it's own HVAC for the bonus room, one that runs quietly.

More details as they come...., I'll have a survey soon and some rough plans on the design. I haven't decided to have an attached finished walkway/hall from the main house to this structure or not...possibly a half bath, either in the garage or in the bonus room, depends how much everything ends up costing

Thanks again for your help Jack!

Last edited by rkruege1; 02-18-06 at 03:05 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: