carport enclosure

Old 02-18-06, 05:07 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
carport enclosure

Hello All,

I have a problem, and I will cut straight to the chase: I have an open, single car carport whose upright suports are steel pipe. These pipes are topped top and bottom with a welded flat plate which is attached respectively with bolts to the top plate and the concrete slab

I wish to enclose said carport with typical plywood sheathing so that I can then cover the sheathing with vinyl siding, but I cannot figure out how to deal with the steel support posts so that I can attach the exterior sheathing to the sides as well as install the sole plate for the prospective studs.

Does anyone know of a traditional approach to this problem?

I have toyed with the possibility of "boxing" the end-posts and allowing the wall interior to "swallow up" the intermediate support posts. For the sole plate, I have tinkered with the idea of cutting appropriate holes in the sole plate, cutting these areas in half, and then placing the opposing halves around the support posts and attaching them securely, but I have never seen such an arrangement before. Is this possible?

Next, in fastening the sole plate to the concrete foundation (which is not reinforced or stressed concrete) should I use a masonry bit and bolt anchors or a Hilte gun to shoot them in?

I sincerely appreciate you having indulged my ignorance.

Jim Talon

Old 02-20-06, 04:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Jim: You are on the right track. You may have to have a 6" wall, but that will only help with insulation, etc. Install pressure treated 2x6's between the posts, and a 2x6 on the top plate, between the pipe. You will need to know where you will be "turning" the front wall, and extend the top and bottom plates and stud corner to that point. Install your studs, and osb on the outside and sheetrock on the inside. I would use tapcon screws and their bit to install the bottom plate to the slab, as the Hilti type fasteners may tend to crack your slab, since you are so close to the edge. Hope this helps. If I didn't get it all right, post back and I'll try again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: