block or poured walls needed

Old 04-11-06, 07:50 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
block or poured walls needed

I have a 12 by 35 add on with full basement and a 18 by 22 add on to my garage im in minnesota. 12 feet of the frost footings will be full basement. I dont care if they are poured wall or block.
if i can rent some poured wall forms i can do it myself. (does anyone want to rent or know anyone who will rent me forms? I will only need them for 3 or 4 days.) or i need someone who can lay block. I will provide the labor and material. My wife and I were riped off for alot of money and now I have a hole in my back yard with frost footings in it and very little money left. In my book it would almost be a crime to fill in the hole and waste thease frost footings. This building must rise..
Old 04-14-06, 04:11 AM
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 3,140
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sorry you got ripped off, but thats how life is. To rent concrete forms will run you about $35.00 a foot, plus hauling, plus handling. You will be hard pressed to find any concrete construction company that will let you use their forms. All forms must be oiled, cleaned, stacked, plus all the metal that holds the forms together. As for concrete block, if your going to supply all the materials and do all the labor, there is not much left to do, so I will guess it will be hard to find someone to hire. Good Luck
Old 04-14-06, 12:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
block or poured walls needed


Have you considered using the styro-foam forms? They can
get a little expensive depending on how many you need but it'll
save you the rent on the forms and they have some built-in insulating value so you save there.
If it was my foundation, I wouldn't even consider concrete block but that's my preference.

Hope I have been some help.
Old 04-14-06, 03:46 PM
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 6,130
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
block or poured walls needed

If you have the footings inplace you can go with block or concrete walls. Both will require drain tile if you ever expect to finish the lower area.

You will have a problem renting forms since you are not experienced and do not have an account with someone who rents forms. Forms are not given out to unexperienced individuals.

Insulating concrete forms (ICFs) are a possibility. The forms are not cheap and you must have some skill in bracing forms and pumping (preferably) or moving and pouring concrete. If you are near a Cemstone Products plant, they usually have truck mounted pumps and do sell Reward forms that are very good. You will need help with experience.

The other alternate is using concrete block. If you buy the block you can always find a mason in your area. You can also provide labor to keep the cost down. This is especially true if the job it not a huge one. Just look for block basements being built and go talk to the guys laying block - most like moonlighting on weekends. An alternate is to call a local block producer - best to talk to a dispatcher or salesman that knows the contractors. There are many good masons in the area.


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: