Add Garage Door Sensor - how

Old 04-28-06, 01:30 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Add Garage Door Sensor - how

Hi,
My house was build in 1990 and it has wooded garage doors with Remote control system from LiftMaster. It does not have Sensor so it can stop door while it is opening/Closing if any obstruction. This is causing some safety issue so I wanted to install sensor so door can be stopped if any object on the way of door.

Can someone suggest me what product I should by and is it easy to install or not ?

Thanks in Advance

Old 04-28-06, 04:53 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Have you contacted Liftmaster?

www.liftmaster.com

Old 04-30-06, 04:15 AM
Received 23 Votes on 23 Posts
Well considering your door opener is 16 years old I would just replace it with a new one, they all come with the safty eye sensors now. Upgrading yours can be done, but you would be better off putting your money towards a new opener

Old 04-30-06, 09:47 AM
M
What is recommended opener and what type of cost involved in replacing three.

Can I replace by myself or it is difficult to replace. I am kind of new to this one.

Old 05-01-06, 04:29 AM
Originally Posted by mamin
What is recommended opener and what type of cost involved in replacing three.

Can I replace by myself or it is difficult to replace. I am kind of new to this one.
I would stick with liftmaster, having it professionally installed would run you around $300 each for the chain drive model (that includes labor). If you want to do it yourself, get a craftsman, Chamberlain or liftmaster. They are all made by the same company and will bolt right back in to where your existing openers are. They are not hard to install, have someone help you and take your time, read the directions the night before. I recommend chain or belt drive, stay away from "screw" drives.

Old 05-01-06, 04:46 AM
Why do you say to stay away from screw drive ??

Old 05-01-06, 05:04 AM
Originally Posted by mattison
Why do you say to stay away from screw drive ??
I personally don't like them, they are a pain to put together.

Old 05-01-06, 05:25 AM
No operational problems though ??. I ask because I just installed a Genie screw in my moms house.

Thanks and sorry for hi-jacking the thread.

Old 05-01-06, 08:18 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Doorman - I'm surprised that you don't like screw drive GDOs. I replaced two chain drives with screw drives in my daughters house years ago. I liked them so much I put two in my new garage. I found them really easy to assemble and install.
So far they have been reliable.

Old 05-01-06, 03:18 PM
M
Does that matter what type of garage Opener I have now ?.

Sorry I mixed up the name. I have "AUTOMATIC DOORMAN MODEL 455" (Not the Liftmaster). I beleive it is CHAIN DRIVE since i see chain running around. This company does not exist any more.

Can someone suggest me model no. from this link on Lowes.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&No=&Ntt=garage%20doors%20openers&Ntk=i_building_products&pad=true

Does it come with sensor or I have to buy separate ?

Only what I am afraid is getting wrong model which may not fit to my existing one or I have to change too many thing in my garage door opener. I prefer easy to install without changing chain drive.

Old 05-01-06, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell
Doorman - I'm surprised that you don't like screw drive GDOs. I replaced two chain drives with screw drives in my daughters house years ago. I liked them so much I put two in my new garage. I found them really easy to assemble and install.
So far they have been reliable.
Well I guess it's with anything, it's personal preference. Of all the screw drives I've replaced over the past 11 years, some were noisy, the three piece rails were flimsy or the screw no longer engaged the trolley car. Or what ever the case may be, (Can't remember them all) The door Co. I work for doesn't repair or sell them. We just replace them with a solid one piece rail, either chain or belt drive from Liftmaster. Granted all door openers have problems IE. Chamberlain's plastic drive gear strips out, but that is usually do to a lack of maintenance. I have installed several Genie screw driver for customers who have purchased a door from us and then go buy a cheep opener on sale and ask us to install it. Keeping good customer relations we comply but it definitely takes longer to install. Just my personal opinion.

Old 05-01-06, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by mamin
Does that matter what type of garage Opener I have now ?.

Sorry I mixed up the name. I have "AUTOMATIC DOORMAN MODEL 455" (Not the Liftmaster). I beleive it is CHAIN DRIVE since i see chain running around. This company does not exist any more.

Can someone suggest me model no. from this link on Lowes.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&No=&Ntt=garage%20doors%20openers&Ntk=i_building_products&pad=true

Does it come with sensor or I have to buy separate ?

Only what I am afraid is getting wrong model which may not fit to my existing one or I have to change too many thing in my garage door opener. I prefer easy to install without changing chain drive.
Any new model you buy has eye sensors. A good model from the link you gave is Item #: 48930 Model: PD612KL SEE here http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=48930-38782-PD612KL&lpage=none
Just make sure to measure your Door height, A standard door opener is for 7 Foot high, If your door is 8 foot you will need to buy a rail extension kit. It also comes with a longer chain

Last edited by Doorman2722; 05-01-06 at 05:58 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: