expect to pay for concrete slab......

Old 06-21-06, 07:53 AM

Hey guys 1st time poster here..I'm going to be building a garage soon,picked out my plans and have a few friends to help me out.One or two have built there own garage so they should be a big help.Anyway its going to have a lift in it and the directions on the lift call for 4.5- 5 inch slab well I'm going to leave this part of the job to the Pros the garage is going to be 20 X 20 which would be 6.17yards my question is how much should i expect to pay for a slab to be poured?

thanks, Don

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-06, 09:57 AM
As a wild guess, which is all it would be, I'd say around $2500-$3000, depending on the complexity of the site and the requirements for the lift.

The best way is just to pick up the phone book and start calling some local contractors. Most give free estimates, and those that don't usually aren't around long.

Old 06-21-06, 10:32 PM
Concrete's like copper these days...outta sight! I just built a new 26 x 30 Garage. Couldn't tell you what the cement cost for it because it was all new and together with the house.

The concrete job ended up costing me 30,000, but I'm not sure how much of that was the garage. A friend of mine is building a garage about the size of yours right now. He did his own cement for $1,800. He said it would have been about $6,500 if he had hired it out.

Cement is dog-a$$ work that I'm happy to leave to the pro's. The guys that did mine were expensive, but did absolutley top-quality work.

Getting back to the garage, like you I had never built a garage before either. Here's a list of tips for you...

*read and learn everything you can

*find some guys at work or wherever that have done it before and question them. They'll help you out.

*buy a framing nailer

*have people lined up to help you with the big jobs, like framing, putting up trusses, sheathing, roofing, and siding. Allow extra in the budget for pizza and beer.

*try to buy you materials local, instead of the big box stores. People at REAL lumber yards actually know stuff, unlike the dopes and HD or 'Nard's. They can help you out too.

*The project will cost more than you think, guarenteed!

*The project will take long than you thought too.

Good luck,
Joe Michel

Old 06-22-06, 08:50 AM
A concrete contractor friend of mine would do that for $2.50 per sq. ft. And you pay for the concrete. That cost will vary depending on where you live. A lot of the time contractors get the cement for 4 or 5 dollars less than you would. Here the regular price of concrete is $74/yd delivered. If you want to save a little money you could form it and fill it sand or gravel or whatever is recommended for you area and you could save $1.50 or so per sq ft. That's what I did and I got my 24ft x 34ft. pad poured for $612 (just labor). Power troweled and everything.

Old 07-31-06, 12:38 PM
Agreed, concrete is hard work and something that not many people enjoy doing or can do a good job w/o the proper tools.

Mud only runs about $75-90/yd here depending on your mix specifications. Labor really varies with your region. Around here labor is inexpensive rather you shop through a company or hire out the workers yourself.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 07-31-06 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Unnecessary derogatory comment removed
Old 07-31-06, 01:35 PM
Blazin - Your profile doesn't give your location so I'm not sure how much work a slab entails where you are. In my area a foundation with footers is required below frost. That meant excavating about 4' and pouring footers and foundation walls. Also, depending on your soil, you may have to remove clay/loam/dirt and replace it with gravel. Costs will also vary depending on the type of concrete, how much rebar you want/need etc.

Three years ago I paid $6500 for a 4", 26'X26' garage slab.

Old 07-31-06, 01:59 PM

I hope you have it poured by now.

If not, there is a difference between a floating slab (bearing on the soil and between the foundation walls) and a structural slab (reinforced and tied to the foundation walls - assume no support from the soil).

One requires more steel, concrete and concrete labor than the other. The other requires better soil and compaction under the thinner slab. It can be costly and very questionable (long term) to combine the two.

Dick