Very HOT garage - need help ASAP please!

Old 07-25-06, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Very HOT garage - need help ASAP please!

I'm really hoping someone with alot more knowledge than me can give me some advice on this. I recently bought a home and use the detached garage as a workshop for my home-based floral business. The problem is, the garage is EXTREMELY hot. Right now, temperatures where I live (Southern Calif.) are 110-115 every day. My garage faces west so it gets direct sun almost the entire day, and by late afternoon it is easily 120-130 degrees in there, with the door open!

Adding much to the problem is the fact that my 6'x8' floral cooler is in the garage and the unit obviously generates hot air while it is running, which is all the time when I'm working. I have a portable A/c unit, and also a window mounted A/C unit - they do almost nothing to cool the room. There's no insulation, and the garge door is metal, uninsulated also. I was thinking of insulating the room but then I'm worried about the ventilation issues and the fact that my cooler gives out so much hot air - I don't want to trap the hot air inside! There is absolutely no ventilation in the garage at all - no roof vents, nothing. I have been advised (by the coolor repair man), that I need to get the hot air out of the garage and get more air circulation in the room. He suggested a roof-mounted power attic fan installed right above the cooler. This sounds like a great idea, and I've been thinking about the possibility of getting a solar-powered one.

So, my questions are - Do these work as well/are they as strong as the power fans? Or is it better to get the power model, since they have an automatic thermostat? How effective do you think a solar fan or power fan would be in cooling down the temperature of the room and circulating enough air? The garage is 360 square feet..would one of the small fans be large enough - it says they vent up to 1200 square feet of space, but is that based on attic space or would it still apply for a garage space? And, even with the attic fan - do i still need to install any other passive vents in the room?

Obviously my goal is to have the garage at a comfortable (or at least tolerable!) temperature so i can work out there. Please, if anyone can offer advice on this I'd much appreciate it!

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-06, 05:41 PM
I would think that with a floral shop in the garage, you need to bring the temp down. If outside temps are that high, doesn't that affect your plants adversely. A fan will only get the temp a bit closer to outside temps. It won't cool at all, just take some of the heat build-up out of the garage.

If it were me, I would insulate the walls and ceiling, so the AC could do it's magic.

How much leakage is there around the garage door?

Old 07-27-06, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by k8egrl
I'm really hoping someone with alot more knowledge than me can give me some advice on this. I recently bought a home and use the detached garage as a workshop for my home-based floral business. The problem is, the garage is EXTREMELY hot. Right now, temperatures where I live (Southern Calif.) are 110-115 every day. My garage faces west so it gets direct sun almost the entire day, and by late afternoon it is easily 120-130 degrees in there, with the door open!

Adding much to the problem is the fact that my 6'x8' floral cooler is in the garage and the unit obviously generates hot air while it is running, which is all the time when I'm working. I have a portable A/c unit, and also a window mounted A/C unit - they do almost nothing to cool the room. There's no insulation, and the garge door is metal, uninsulated also. I was thinking of insulating the room but then I'm worried about the ventilation issues and the fact that my cooler gives out so much hot air - I don't want to trap the hot air inside! There is absolutely no ventilation in the garage at all - no roof vents, nothing. I have been advised (by the coolor repair man), that I need to get the hot air out of the garage and get more air circulation in the room. He suggested a roof-mounted power attic fan installed right above the cooler. This sounds like a great idea, and I've been thinking about the possibility of getting a solar-powered one.

So, my questions are - Do these work as well/are they as strong as the power fans? Or is it better to get the power model, since they have an automatic thermostat? How effective do you think a solar fan or power fan would be in cooling down the temperature of the room and circulating enough air? The garage is 360 square feet..would one of the small fans be large enough - it says they vent up to 1200 square feet of space, but is that based on attic space or would it still apply for a garage space? And, even with the attic fan - do i still need to install any other passive vents in the room?

Obviously my goal is to have the garage at a comfortable (or at least tolerable!) temperature so i can work out there. Please, if anyone can offer advice on this I'd much appreciate it!

Thank you!
One word....insulation. It really won't be possible to make it comfortable in there without it. I just finished building a new 26x30 garage. It has R-19 in the walls and R-38 in the celing and insulated 9x7 garage doors. If I keep it closed up during the day, it never gets hotter than 85 out there. I have an 18,000 BTU A/C out there, which does an excellent job of keeping it cool. In lieu of insulation, a power vent or turbines in the roof might help you a little.

Joe Michel

Old 08-03-06, 01:31 PM
Hot Garage

I have a similar problem. So far, here are the solutions I have come up with: the garage door is going to 50 degrees hotter than the garage in the late afternoon, so you should insulate the door. Insulation material is available at places like Home Depot etc. Next, you need to vent the garage. I did this in a previous garage. I had air intakes placed near ground level and vents with turrets placed in the garage ceiling (2 of each). The garage never got particularly hot. You could also install a small whole house fan in the garage and cool it at night, then trap the cool air in the garage during the day (once the door is insulated). Adding an air conditioner could get quite expensive. I just got a quote to extend my house air conditioner into the garage as a zone - $2600. It would be much cooler to insulate and vent. I am always open to more ideas.

Old 08-04-06, 05:53 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Hot Garage

You really need to get the hot air from the cooler exhaust vented to the outside with some sort of duct system. Insulating will only hold this hot air in and should be done after you get rid of the hot exhaust air from the cooler. Good luck with your project.

Old 08-04-06, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38
You really need to get the hot air from the cooler exhaust vented to the outside with some sort of duct system. Insulating will only hold this hot air in and should be done after you get rid of the hot exhaust air from the cooler. Good luck with your project.
Thinking along these lines, would it not be possible to put a small vent in the outside wall, near the back of the cooler unit?
A bit of weather stripping on the sides/top of the unit and you won't have 'much' airflow between the vent and the rest of the room. Then the hot part of the unit (assuming coils are on the back like a fridge?) could vent out the wall?

Just thinking outloud here...

Old 08-04-06, 10:29 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Garage

A louver design would help keep rain out of the unit. Sounds like you are on the right track. You may want to be able to close this opening if you have cold winters.

Old 08-04-06, 01:29 PM
I've had a similar problem in my garage. Though It hasn't been quite as hot here as in sunny California, it has been for the past week or so in the high 90s and more. I spend a lot of time in the garage which also faces west. I've made it, though, quite comfortable with no more than a ceiling fan and an exhaust fan venting thru the crawlspace louvre (and all lighting is via fluorscents). Without these fans, the garage is near uninhabitable.

Old 08-21-06, 04:23 PM
Vent the cooler to the outside with ducting.
Insulate the roof to prevent heat soak.
Install a vent in the eaves to let hot air escape.
A fan might help the heat escape.
A cieling fan might help YOU feel cooler.
If possible plant some quick growing shade break to get the sun off your garage. Potted Bamboo stands etc? I dunno. Anything.
Finally One thing that you may not think will help but has done wonders for this problem in my southwest facing garage.
Replace the Garage door.
I had a stamped aluminium un-insulated metal door and replaced it with a Wayne Dalton composite Insulated sectional door and saw dramatic improvement. I really didn't believe it. But I have yet to add the eve vents as a result as I do not spend much time in my garage compared to your business.

Old 08-22-06, 09:11 AM
sorry accidental repost