D
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Garage door broke

Here's a photo of what broke:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

and from another angle:

Sorry, I don't know what it's called but it's that middle white piece that's hanging onto the black thing.

As I closed the door, I noticed it wasn't closing right. As I took a closer look, all the screws came off and it is bent. The only temp. way to fix it would be to bend it back and somehow mount it back on, but knowing this is not a good idea, I want to do it the right way.

Do I or can I buy that part somewhere? What is it called? How can I mount a new piece back onto the garage door correctly? I would think the existing holes are too big now being that it just came out without unscrewing them.

I have done nothing to it yet so it's still the way it is in the photo.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 07-30-06 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-30-06, 08:54 AM
Received 42 Upvotes on 41 Posts
That is called a mullion. Ya gotta love cheap Wayne Dalton doors. You can try flatting it out and through bolt the opener arm mounting bracket all the way through the door. A Wayne Dalton dealer may be able to get a replacement mullion. Make sure the door works easily by hand or the same thing may happen again. It looks to me the opener arm mounting bracket is installed upside down, which can cause the arm to bind and rip the bracket off as the door goes through the radius. can you get a better picture of the mounting bracket

Old 07-30-06, 12:53 PM
D
Thanks Doorman! I was amazed you knew what brand the door was!...well...you're the "doorman" so... but, I thought that was really cool. I had to look around the garage door to find the brand.

Just so you know, though I just posted this question yesterday, I didn't think I was going to get an answer so the meanwhile I had put it back temporarily.

For the future, what kind of garage door would you recommend? At least that way I can do my research beforehand.

Here's a better picture of the mounting bracket. (Is this the mounting bracket? Sorry, not familiar with the terms)

Old 07-30-06, 01:24 PM
I recommend Clopay or Raynor doors. Yep your mounting bracket is on upside down, the curved part of the opener arm hits the flat part of that bracket and is not allowed to pivot like it should and something has to give, this time it was your mullion.

Old 07-30-06, 03:12 PM
D
Thanks Doorman. Goodness, gracious...Since it was installed before I moved in I guess I can't call back whoever did it. I'm not too suprised since I've found a lot of things in and around the house installed incorrectly.

As you mentioned, the actual part (mounting bracket) is on upside down...is it the flat black part with the 3 screws only? I'll have to turn it back the right way and/or later on replace the garage door with the ones you recommended. Thanks again for the recommendations and for your knowledge and help.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 07-30-06 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-31-06, 02:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The garage door is only as good as the person who installs it.We have a stanley garage door and the guy who installed it did not do it right so its off by a 1/2 inch to 1 inch so its a little hard to open or close when it gets about half way.

Old 07-31-06, 07:10 AM
U
When you turn the bracket rightside up, I would suggest buying carriage bolts long enough to pass through the entire door, and the bracket, then replacing the three screws with the bolts.

Even with the bracket installed correctly, the door opener is pulling against the mullion that is only spot welded, screwed, or pop-riveted to the door panel.

Old 07-31-06, 08:30 AM
D
So what you're saying is that even if I put the bracket on the right way and replace it with screws and bolts it's still going to mess up eventually?

Old 07-31-06, 11:57 AM
U
The bracket seems to function in either direction, since it has functioned for some time before it broke...

I do think you should replace the sheet metal screws that attach the bracket to the mullion with bolts that go all the way through the door. That will eliminate strain on the two small sheet metal screws at the top of your door (in the pictures), that seem to be the principle attachment between the mullion and the door panel.

I have a very similar door, that functioned fine for 2+ years with an opener, before the mullion came loose from the panel. I now have bolts that go all the way through. It worked for me, just trying to help.

Old 07-31-06, 12:01 PM
D
Thanks Ubob

Old 07-31-06, 02:44 PM
Actually looking at your second post picture that bracket needs to be lowered on the section, the curved part of the opener arm may be making contact with the reinforcing strut that runs horizontal when the door opens. that may have pulled it off too. A general rule of thumb is to have the arm connect right about in line with the two top rollers.

Old 07-31-06, 03:08 PM
D
Please forgive me for not understanding everything you are saying as I am very new to parts of a garage door...

But, I can't lower the arm...unless there's some type of adjustment I have to do? When I bring the arm down with the bracket, that's as far as it goes? Directly on that spot.

And, what exactly do you mean it should be in line with the two top rollers? What rollers?

Old 07-31-06, 03:27 PM
Ok, disconnect the door from the opener by pulling down on the red rope, and manually lift the door open about a foot or so. Is the black arm coming in contact with the un painted piece of metal running horizontally across the top of your door? It shouldn't make contact at any time. This mostly occurs when the top section of the door is turning into the horizontal track. If it is making any contact with the door you need to lower the mounting bracket that has pulled off, down farther on the section. The opener arm is adjustable by un bolting it. If the arm is not hitting the reinforcing strut, don't worry about it and just through bolt it back on to the door

Old 07-31-06, 03:48 PM
D
Ahhhh...thanks. I will check when I get home. I guess overall...I will have to look forward to a better quality door and installer.

Old 08-08-06, 04:29 PM
M
That's a wayne dalton QI9100 Door,

As hard as it is to believe, that bracket _IS_ designed to tear away like that. Basically in case the door binds, springs break or any multitude of other problems occur - it protects the top section from being buckled (Retail price on a single section, is in the 300$ canadian ballpark).

They've actually redesigned that bracket, your local wayne dalton dealer will be able to provide you a replacement, you'll notice there are numerous 'extra' holes in the bracket, allowing it to be re-attached. The new bracket straddles the top strut - but still tears away if the load placed on it is too great.

**** Call a reputable garage door technician to come out and repair the problem which caused the operator bracket to tear off ****

Last edited by MoreBeer; 08-08-06 at 04:39 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: