Help! with flooding garage

Old 08-04-06, 07:33 PM
I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Help! with flooding garage

Hello.
I have a bi-level home with an attached garage. Unfortunately, the street level is higher than my driveway(which slants toward the garage) so the runoff from the street ends up flooding the front of the garage. Also, I have a back door in the garage and the yard is high to low ground with the lowest area being right at the back door so I get runoff in the back door which floods the backside of the garage. I do not know what to do for this situation although I was told the best thing would be to eliminate the garage and make it into a room to the tune of $30,000 dollars. NO. I have a child with allergies and asthma with his bedroom being above the garage so I am greatly concerned about this yet no one to tell me what to do to eliminate this problem. There has to be something that can be done without it costing a great amount as I am very low income at this time. I've been dealing with this problem for 5 1/2 years and still to no avail have a solution. I have tried to dig a trench and added some tile, but during heavy rains or a fast thaw, the drainage tile can't consume fast enough. Thank you so much for any ideas and thoughts. I wish that you could see pictures of how my home was built on this property because there is high and low ground all over, plus my neighbors is higher than mine which causes more problem. Thanks again!

Old 08-04-06, 08:53 PM
N
Without actually seeing it I think A drain in your driveway may be the way to go. Retofitting a drain in would be tedious work but a WHOLE lot cheaper than $30,000. What kind of driveway is it?

Old 08-05-06, 04:16 AM
P
I did this for a neighbor with the same problem: I broke out 8 feet of the asphalt in front of his garage, formed a 8 inch wide by 12 inch deep trench, and poured back the whole apron and trench drain in concrete. I connected an 8 inch discharge pipe to the drain and ran it around his property to the low point in his yard. Even in heavy rains now, he has no water in his garage.
However, it sounds like your house IS the low point on your property. This is horrible planning on the part of whoever built the house. Water has to go downhill, after all.
Your best bet may be to install a trench drain or pit of some sort in front of the garage door, and install a sump pump that takes the water away to a suitable place.
As to converting the garage into a room, how would that solve the water problem? The water would just seep in instead of running in. Good luck.

Pecos

Old 08-05-06, 07:34 AM
I
Follow-up/flooding garage

Here is the short of it.
My house faces East. If you were facing my house this is what you would see. My lot is about 100ft. x
FRONT YARD: High ground on Right side of bi-level-(neighbors to the North, ground just higher than mine.)
Low ground & Driveway on Left side of bi-level-garage is attached with the street being higher and driveway slants toward house.
Facing BACK OF HOUSE: The North side yard is High ground which tapers to low ground to the South side yard but it begins to taper at garage area but the South side yard is just higher than the back yard at my back garage door.
BACK YARD: Village property meets my back yard with their property being much, much higher than my backyard, so I receive the run-off from that as a drainage ditch they put in does absolutely nothing to carry the water as it was intended. When it's full I receive the extra.
Anyone who would see this for themselves would just shake their head as I've been doing. If money weren't an issue their would be no problem. The prior owner was in her elder years and she dealt with this for about 15 years. I am much younger and it stresses me. Thanks again for the input. I will take any with serious consideration of applying it to this mess.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: