Is Belt driven Garage door operator a Do it yourself?

Old 08-09-06, 08:10 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Belt driven Garage door operator a Do it yourself?

Just trying to find whether replacing my current chain driven Garage door operator with a belt driven system is a Do it yourself operation.

I am handy but never did Garage door opener. Not sure how much the local guys charge for installation.

Thanks

Old 08-09-06, 09:04 PM
M
Originally Posted by sethramesh
Just trying to find whether replacing my current chain driven Garage door operator with a belt driven system is a Do it yourself operation.

I am handy but never did Garage door opener. Not sure how much the local guys charge for installation.

Thanks

Absolutely a DIY type job! Just read the directions carefully and take your time. You'll likely need 4 or 5 hours to complete the project. I just installed a pair of Genie screw-drives in my garage. The first one took quite a while to put up. The second one took about 1.5 hours.

Old 08-09-06, 10:05 PM
M
No good reason why one can't do it themselves... However, do take the time to give your door a good once over before proceeding... more often than not the opener has failed because the door needs repair/adjustment than due to the actual operator failing. You should be able to lift / close your door with just 2 fingers, if you disconnect the existing operator and require much more than that - have a service man out to do 'annual' maintenance.

Replacing an existing opener is easy, if you've got a drill, tin-snips, a couple wrenches and a hammer, you're easily able to do it yourself. Only additional thing you need is the ability to read directions.

Cost to have one installed - Home depot charges under 100$, don't be surprised if your installer has it up in under 30 minutes - that would be pretty typical. Nice part about that is the warranty.

Old 08-10-06, 05:52 AM
S
I forgot to mention about the door. Can I change the door also myself ?

Thanks

Old 08-10-06, 02:30 PM
M
While there's are many reasons to do it yourself... It is one of those things I generally recommend to be left to a professional (Of course - in this case, coming from a professional).

Torsion springs aren't something that the average joe should be playing with - it only takes minor mistakes for a serious injury to occur. They're really not something that one should be working on without proper training and instruction.

That said, companies like wayne dalton do make doors that are designed to be installed by your average DIY'er. The torquetube system does reduce a lot of the chances of injury when working with torsion springs. They're largely pre-assembled from the factory, by closely following the instructions - and spending plenty of time with tape measure and level in hand - you should do fine.

At the same time, there is something to be said for dealing with a reputable dealer to have an installation done. If there were warranty issues - the DIY'er would likely end up paying to have a factory trained technician out to inspect the problem. Then would have to deal with the manufacturer directly - to get replacement parts. Meanwhile, installed by a dealer, if you have problems - the dealer gets to do the hard work, you just have to have a bit of patience while the problems are addressed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: