OverHead Door opener - light flashes 5 times

Old 08-19-06, 10:15 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OverHead Door opener - light flashes 5 times

After 14 years of problem free operation, the courtesy light on our Overhead opener, model 456, began flashing for 5 one second intervals, pause for 10 seconds or so, and then repeat. The door would not respond to any of the remotes nor the wall switch. When I unplugged and replugged the unit, the door opened, and then continued the 5 light flash intervals. I unplugged and replugged the door again, it closed, and then continued the 5 light flashes.

Because the problem was first evident on a Saturday, I then decided to stretch an extension cord to the opener so I could unplug the unit when not in use, and call Overhead for service next week. I left the door unplugged and closed to run errands for a few hours. When I came home, and plugged the opener in, the door didn't go up as it did before. I actually had to press the wall switch to open the door. The opener works correctly now.

Does anyone know what may be going on with my Overhead opener?

The owners manual says 5 flashes means there is a short in the wall pushbutton or the pushbutton circuit. I don't think it is the wall switch unless some mouse has been nibbling on the wire that runs through the garage attic. If the problem really is a short, what is the best way to determine if it is the wall switch or the pushbutton circuit?

What the is life expectancy on an Overhead door opener?
Should I plan to buy a new opener soon?

thanks
dave r.

Old 08-20-06, 08:04 AM
W
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A short in the wiring might be unlikely, but a shorted wall switch is a possibility. Disconnect the power, remove the switch and check it with an ohmeter.

Old 08-20-06, 03:48 PM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My personal favorite way to sort out these kinds of problems - take the wall station off the wall, disconnect from the wires. Head up to the GDO, disconnect the wires that go to the wall station. Take a short length (4-6") of wire, and connect the wall station to the opener. If everything's working correctly again - time for some new wires.

That should eliminate the wiring. Now I'm not sure on OHD brand products, but chamberlain's products, simply shorting the two wires together will send an open/close signal. I can't guarantee that's how OHD's wallstation works - so attempt at your own risk.

You'd be amazed how often problems like this occur - the bell wire used to wire photoeyes and wall stations is very small guage with very thin insulation - and then you anchor it with big staples that are hammered in by hand... (One of the reasons I liked to use a proper wire stapler when I did residential installs)

Andy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: