Replace remote and receiver Door opener

Old 08-21-06, 05:21 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace remote and receiver Door opener

My overhead garage door opener works fine but when I bought the house the remote opener had been lost. The door opener is old and a new remote is expensive or not available. The unit is a Genie Cryptar II. I was thinking depending on just exactly how it works that I could replace the remote and the receiver for the remote (if all it does is send a universal signal to the "box") with another - unrelated set - remote and receiver and keep the actual door opener mechanical mechanism. Would anybody know about interchanging just these parts?

Old 08-21-06, 05:26 AM
You can buy a new reciever and it comes with a remote and keypad from Home Depot or Lowes. Not to bad to install but it's about 1/2 the cost of an all new opener. I opted for it just out of laziness, but it worked fine.

Old 08-22-06, 03:50 AM
D
Thanks Mattison,
It looked to me like it was just a remote and receiver, and not necessarily specifice to the the driver unit. You confirmed for me.

Old 08-22-06, 04:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
Sears carries a similar setup as well.

Old 08-22-06, 05:35 PM
M
Craftsman is made by Chamberlain, who also makes liftmaster - thus it would make sense sears and home despots would sell them You local door dealer will have a few options also.

I'd highly recommend doing a google search for genie cryptar... You'll find numerous auctions/stores selling replacements. Cheaper to replace the remote than the whole system honestly.

Andy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: