Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Garages, Garage Door Openers, Work Shops & Sheds, Breezeways and Carports
Reload this Page >

Garage help - can i build outer wall 1st then roof and build the inner walls last ?

Garage help - can i build outer wall 1st then roof and build the inner walls last ?

Old 08-31-06, 08:19 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Garage help - can i build outer wall 1st then roof and build the inner walls last ?

Hi all,
Im building a garage/gym size is 6 m x 5 m , breeze block outer and inner layer been told only way to guarentee to stop damp coming in , the thing is the winter is coming soon here in the U.K. im only doing this in my spare time mainly weekends, i have nearly built the outer walls can i then put the roof on top before building the inner breeze block walls ??
Cheers
Mike

Old 08-31-06, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the outer walls are the walls carrying the roof load, then you can build them first. Make sure you brace the walls since you will have no lateral support until the roof system is completed. Make sure you have the proper attachment between the two layers.

If you have a 2 leaf or 2 wythe wall where both sides are carrying the roof load, you will have to complete both before building the roof.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: