New Garage Door+Opener??

Old 09-08-06, 09:02 PM
B
b19
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Garage Door+Opener??

Getting new garage door installed in next couple of weeks. Just a standard aluminum 16 x 7 with new rails and everything else. Ordered and on the way.

Now for the question about the opener. Garage is 2-car and driveway is not that long or wide. I was wondering preference on Belt or Screw drives. I have heard belt drives are quieter.

I have looked at the Genie Excelerator (Screw drive - opens twice-as-fast as conventional openers but closes gently), Genie Stealth (belt drive or LiftMaster Estate Series 3500, 3585, 3850).

Should be pretty quiet due to the new rails and new garage but want to know what everyone's thoughts are here, especially if you have/had one of the products or could offer some recommendations. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-06, 09:46 PM
Wink

I think I have had them all. Right now I have a belt drive. Noise is the same as a screw drive, not much. But to set up and adjust Ill take the screw drive anytime over the belt.

ED

Old 09-09-06, 09:33 AM
I use the chain drives. Have never had a problem with a chain drive and they are easy to tighten when they get loose. And, they will get loose.

Old 09-09-06, 02:00 PM
B
b19
Thanks guys!

If I was only replacing the opener, then I would be more concerned with the noise becasue of an old garage and rails. But since everything is new, noise should not be an issue.

I think I've narrowed it down to the Genie Excelerator (screw) and Genie Stealth (belt).

I have read people who had problems with screw saying sometimes they freeze up in extream cold weather. I would say Chicago has extream cold weather . Who knows...may have to do a bit more research on screw and belt drives before I make my final decision.

Old 09-09-06, 04:18 PM
M
If you're in the cold belt... Or have an unheated garage, just stay away from screw drives. If you like the DC drive - look at some of the chamberlain liftmaster estate products, same advantages (+ battery backup available) but in a belt/chain.

Belt vs chain, belts have auto tensioners (and usually lifetime warrantys). Chains require a little bit of maintenance, and do stretch/wear.

Old 09-10-06, 06:31 AM
W
I live in the NE, get some pretty cold weather and have never had a problem with my screw drive openers. Can anyone explain why they might be a problem?

on edit -
I reread the maintenance instructions that came with my GDO. Genie recommends that the only lubricant used is a lithium based product marketed by Lubriplate that maintains it's viscosity to -60*F. I suspect that anyone that had a screw drive freeze may have used the wrong lube.

Last edited by Wayne Mitchell; 09-10-06 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-10-06, 03:41 PM
B
b19
Thanks MoreBeer and Wayne, my garage is not heated and it does get pretty cold in the dead of winter even though I just ripped out all the walls and insulation and re-did it all. It should help but a Chicago is no peach.

I looked at the liftmaster estate brand. I am planning on calling a few places that carry them and price it out compared to Genie. I know they are a bt more expensive but we will see. I think the belt drive may be my answer just to be safe but who knows as of right now. More reading to do.