genie garage door opener broken

Old 09-09-06, 01:20 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
genie garage door opener broken

I think the carriage connection to the screw drive is loose or broken, since the opener motor works, but the door will not raise, only makes a loud noise where the carriage connects to the screw drive.
Is this connection adjustable, or can the carriage connection be replaced?
thanks

Old 09-09-06, 04:30 PM
M
Ok, been a while, but it sounds like the nut on the traveler is broken...

First start by disconnecting the door from the gdo, try lifting the door, if it takes more than 2 fingers strength to lift - chances are you've got a door problem to fix before worrying about the opener.

If the door opens nice, then you're going to need a new traveler... If I recall getting it off is a pain in the arse, genie likely has directions on their website.

Old 09-10-06, 06:50 AM
W
Received 25 Upvotes on 21 Posts
NWA Pilot -First check would be to make sure the carraige disconnect is not partially disengaged. I would operate the disconnect lever a couple of times and try running the GDO. If that didn't work, leave it in the manual position and try to open the door.
If the door is not binding, try disconnecting the door arm from the door and operate the opener. If the drive carraige is not binding it should travel along the rail assembly.
The carraige is plastic and engages the rail with vanes in a slot. There may be an obstruction or the rail slot/carraige vanes could be damaged.
If you have to remove the carraige, I suggest disconnecting the rail from the door header bracket (you'll have to support the rail) and sliding the carraige off the door end of the rail. There is an electrical switch on the rail (travel stop) that might have to be temproarily removed and there may be a carraige stop also. Anyway - IMO not a big deal.
Genie has a good web site for parts if you need them. Replacing the carraige is no big deal.

Old 09-10-06, 08:32 AM
N
thanks

thanks for the replies... based on your help, it appears that the carriage attachment to the screw is the problem.. I'll try to remove the carriage and look at it..

Old 09-15-06, 07:14 PM
sorry wrong post

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: