Garage Door help..Need advise

Old 09-15-06, 07:16 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garage Door help..Need advise

We'll my wife saw a garage door w/ track and opener for a great price so we jumped on it. I thought our garage door was 8x7. Here's the thing. Our current garage door is 8ft wide and 80 inches high with 5 panels. The garage door we bought is 8ft wide by 7ft high(84 inches) and 4 panels.

So it's 4 inches higher. We have a small garage and it's only 90 inches from floor to ceiling. The tracking that came with the door will definatley not work as if for a much large headroom. I'm hoping that we can use the door as I'd hate to be stuck with door I can't use.

I did a couple of searches and I see there are low headroom kits available? Any recommendation on what to use? Also will I be able to use the garage door opener with such low headroom. It's a Genie Promax 2 chain glide 1/2 hp. What do you think?

Any advise would be great. Thanks in advance.

June

Old 09-16-06, 12:19 PM
D
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Cool

A low headroom kit will not do it, it will not give you enough room. However they do make low headroom track, the horizontal track is a double track. Check with a distributer of the brand of door you bought and see if they have 4" low headroom track that will allow you to use the operator most low headroom track is 6", that would not leave room for the operator.

Old 09-16-06, 12:46 PM
W
Received 65 Upvotes on 56 Posts
Garage door

Re-locate the top roller brackets to a lower position on the new door.

Old 09-16-06, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38
Re-locate the top roller brackets to a lower position on the new door.
Do you mean put the top roller brackets on the 2nd or 3rd panel from the bottom and see how it works?

The thing is I don't want to take down the current garage door and track and be stuck if I can't get it to work. I want to make sure I can get it to work before I jump into it.

It's a Clopay garage door.

Thanks.

Old 09-16-06, 04:11 PM
W
Received 65 Upvotes on 56 Posts
Garage Door

Move them down about 4 inches on the top panel.

Old 09-16-06, 04:47 PM
M
While there are some options to make it work - it wont ever look right...

You could get a double track lowheadroom rear mount system, which would allow you to make the door and operator work in 5". It wont be cheap though (expect a good 200$) Not a particularly nice system to install, most installers would charge a premium to install it.

I believe there are some tension style side mount spring systems that may also work in that kind of space - but whether one is available for your particular door... We as a rule don't sell them, but there are dealers who do.

However, you'll have 4" of overlap on the door, that means the embosing on the front is likely to be up over the lintel - and will not look right. You also wont get a decent seal with the weatherstrip, you're likely going to have to replace the top weatherstrip anually as it's likely to fold over as the door lifts, which it's not designed to do - it will tear.

Old 09-16-06, 06:47 PM
Hi MoreBeer,

Our current exterior reveal of our existing garage door is 75 inches from ground to lintel. So currently only 12 inches of the top panel is seen from the outside. Although I agree it doesn't look the best anything will look better than my current door.

I measured and if I can get it to work somehow, the top panel will also only show 12 inches which I and my wife can live with. So 9 inches of the top panel will not be seen from the exterior.

I'd like to make it work if possible. I'd hate to have to try to sell the door. If I can't use the opener it's no big deal.

June

Old 09-16-06, 07:10 PM
M
With existing hardware you just wont be able to make it work.

Basically your options are, go with the double track low headroom rear mount (springs mounted at rear of horizontal tracks) hardware system. Or one of the side mount tension systems.

Depending on the particular door, you may actually be able to cut it down. Not as easy as it sounds, may or may not be possible dependant on door type/manufacturer. Basically it would involve taking 4" off the top and bottom section installing an appropriate cap top / bottom, cutting down the tracks, then replacing springs to compensate for the change in weight.

Old 09-16-06, 08:19 PM
MoreBeer,

So the aluminum insulated raised panel style doors can be cut down possibly? I guess I would have to locate someone capable of doing that as I don't think it's a diy job.

It's a clopay door so I'll look at the manufacturers website or stop by Home Depot this week to see about the double track low headroom setup

June

Old 09-16-06, 08:54 PM
M
Can't remember seeing a rear mount double track for clopay, think they go to side mount springs instead...

What model number is it? Should be tagged on the end of the box with HDG, 2050 etc.

Cutting down, you'll more than likely have to do it yourself; there is a liability issue involved modifying like this... Most companies would prefer to avoid the risk.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: