Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Garages, Garage Door Openers, Work Shops & Sheds, Breezeways and Carports
Reload this Page >

30 Yr. Old Sears Solid State Garage Door Remote Finally Died...Am Searching...

30 Yr. Old Sears Solid State Garage Door Remote Finally Died...Am Searching...

Old 09-19-06, 10:33 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question 30 Yr. Old Sears Solid State Garage Door Remote Finally Died...Am Searching...

I'll be so happy if anyone can help. The 1/3 hp Sears garage door opener/motor is still working fine, as is the wall-mounted Sears Solid State Digital Control receiver (2 buttons pressed simultaneously to raise/lower the door manually, no electric eye or red light) with the antenna. This opener is original to the house and has gone up and down at least twice a day for 30 years. My understanding is that this door opener system (1976 or 1977 vintage) simply operated on a radio frequency, probably of 390 Mhz, so I'm told.

The problem is that the one and only remote (one button) has died, really died, and I cannot find a replacement because it is no longer manufactured, nor is the circuit board by itself being manufactured. (Sighhhhhhh...) I've changed the battery and cleaned the circuit board. Just silence...

Does anyone know where I might be able to locate an old used receiver and transmitter, not necessarily the same model, but still a Sears since I had such good luck with this one? I even called local overhead door companies to see what they do with demolitioned old systems after they put in a new one. No luck. This is the main entry for my raised/split ranch.

I want to keep the price down as much as possible on a receiver/transmitter because the garage door itself is made of 30 year old particle board panels, which I'd like to replace with a lighter steel door once I decide how I'm remodeling the exterior of the house in a year or so.

Remote transmitter model #139.663730
Receiver model #139.663720 (Sears Solid State Digital Control)

I also tried looking for people who might liquidate old Sears products. I'm hitting dead ends.

Thank you for your help.

Old 09-19-06, 03:04 PM
D
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Cool

15 years ago I had a Whole box of those but I changed jobs and they went in the dumster. I'll check I might have one but it would be on another frequency and you would have to tune it. You're best bet would be to buy a universal radio control and get on with your life.

Old 09-20-06, 05:49 AM
A
Dave G., thanks for responding so fast and for offering to see if you have one. I'll drop in later to see the results of your search. Thanks so much for looking.

Old 09-20-06, 05:35 PM
D
I don't have one but u might be in luck. You said the box on the wall with 2 buttons has an antenna, that got me thinking the digital radio sears sold had no antenna on the reciever. It may not be as old as u think. look inside the box if it is digital it will have dip switches in it. if it has 6 or 9, 2 position switches(on and off) then they don't make them, but if it has 3position switches(+ O -) then u can still get them the liftmaster part number is 61LM. Sears operators are made by Chamberlain and sold under about 20 different names. At my last job we sol, them under 4 different names from 79-94 when i left there. I'll check back monday if u have more ?

Old 09-21-06, 12:37 PM
http://www.aaaremotes.com/clicunem.html

Old 09-21-06, 04:05 PM
A
Thanks, Dave, for checking for a remote for me. I really appreciate it. I ended up ordering a Chamberlain PowerDrive PD422D 1/2 hp Security Plus Screw Drive Opener.

The Sears Solid State Digital Control receiver, transmitter, and motor have no dip switches. The receiver is just a shell with two buttons on the front to push simultaneously to open or close the door. It has an antenna about 4 1/2" tall on the left side and a small 3/8" loop on top of the antenna. On the circuit board of the transmitter, it looks as though there are 6 circuits -- just thin wires attached to the circuit board. They actually look like staples -- pardon my naive comparison here.

You can see Sears' sketches of my receiver and remote if you follow these directions: If you go to www3.sears.com, go to the upper left search field where it says: "Search by Model # or Part#."

Type in one of the following:
139.663720 (receiver) or
139.663730 (transmitter).
Click "Continue."

Next, go to the section under "OR... Select the area where your part is most likely located" and highlight the "View Diagram" button for either the receiver or transmitter number you typed in. Up will pop an exact sketch of my transmitter and receiver.

This truly is a "blast from the past" garage door opener, and it has been a real work horse. I can't say enough good things about it. It was probably made just before you started in the business. The motor itself and the transmitter also have no dip switches. Everything is hard wired.

Thank you both, Dave and 4th and 1, for responding to my inquiry. I did go to aaaremotes.com and several other sites to look around. Dave, I'll check back to find out your response to the "blast from the past" sketches! Do you think I should offer the opener to a museum?

I really like this board and spent a lot of time in various forums the last few days and hope I can learn more about home improvement and even be able to share some of my limited experience to help someone else. Thank you again!

Old 09-24-06, 02:21 PM
D
It's not as old as you think. The wires that look like staples were used in place of dip switches, the idea was you cut different wires to set different codes. that was their way of making a radio control cost less. the circuit board was the same if you remove the wires you can insert dip switches. So a 20 cent block of switches raised the price about $12.00 in the store. You can still get transmitters that work with them but the programming is a little confusing. I dont want to give my age but when I started in this buisness they didn't make digital controls yet.

Old 09-25-06, 04:11 PM
A
Thanks again, Dave. I've appreciated your input and willingness to help me out and your recent explanation of dip switches vs. wires. Very interesting.

Yesterday, I replaced the garage door's bottom four panels of masonite that had warped over the years due to backsplashing from the rain. ...Just waiting for the new opener to arrive. Regards, aussie.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: