Garage Door only partially opens

Old 09-21-06, 12:51 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Garage Door only partially opens

We have a Raynor Commander garage door opener. Recently, it started acting flaking. Periodically (although it is happening more and mroe frequently now), when we push the button to open the garage door the door only opens part of the way (maybe the height of one panel). It acts the same regardless of whether we use the remote control in the car or the hardwired one on the wall. Sometimes, I have to open and close it multiple times before it will open all the way.

I have checked and there are no obstructions; all the cables seem good; and we just replaced the spring about 4 months ago...

Any thoughts on what the problem could be?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 09-21-06, 05:52 PM
Received 42 Upvotes on 41 Posts
Your opener probably needs the up force adjusted. First try the door by hand and make sure it operates good by hand. Then go to this link at Raynor's web site http://www.raynor.com/pdf/commander_inst.pdf
and scroll down to page 24. It will explain how to adjust the open and close force properly

Old 09-24-06, 08:01 PM
garage door only partially opens

i have a chamberlain chain drive and it will only open maybe a foot.will not open completely with opener at all. i have to unlock and close door.then it works fine. what do you think.the chain will only move a foot wherever you adjust it to. what do you think?

Old 09-25-06, 03:15 AM
Originally Posted by Roeboat109
i have a chamberlain chain drive and it will only open maybe a foot.will not open completely with opener at all. i have to unlock and close door.then it works fine. what do you think.the chain will only move a foot wherever you adjust it to. what do you think?
What do you mean "the chain will only move a foot wherever you adjust it to"
What are you adjusting, The up and down limit or the open /closed force. It sounds like you need to adjust the open force

Old 09-25-06, 07:51 AM
garage door only partially closes

i havent touched any adjustments on the chain. the door just will not open completely ,it will close.

Old 09-27-06, 10:53 AM

i didnt touch anything about the chain. i tried to adjust the upforce and it seemed to make no difference. the chain wont always move even a foot, sometimes 3 inches,sinces, a foot ,2ft,backwards the same way.my springs arent ezactly the same length .i replace on a year ago,but the door seems to work pretty well. any help would be appr.thanks

Old 09-27-06, 02:24 PM
If the motor is running and the chain doesn't move or barely moves you probably have a stripped drive gear. See this thread http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=248030

Old 09-28-06, 08:19 AM

i think i went to this thread right and have no idea what it has to do with garage doors.it looked greek to me.

Old 10-10-06, 12:09 PM
Thumbs up garage door partially opens

thanks for the help. i must not have went to the right thread. im not that computer savy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: