over hang on side of garage

Old 10-03-06, 12:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
over hang on side of garage

i want to build a overhang structure on the side of the garage for out side storage.I'm going to use corrigated plastic roofing for the roof. dimentions are to be 8x8. any suggestions on how to frame this structure.its a lean on, thanks.

Old 10-04-06, 05:42 AM
W
Received 65 Upvotes on 56 Posts
Overhang

I hope I understand your plan. I believe you want and extended roof 8 x 8 on the side of your garage with no side walls. Correct?

Support the two outside corners with treated 4x4 posts in the ground. Install a 2x6 at each end from the present roof to the posts and let this 2x6 extend 1 1/2 inches past the outside of the post. It would make a neater job and a stronger roof if you would notch the posts for the 2x6's so that the 2x6's would be flush with the outside of the posts. Nail 2x4's at right angles to the 2x6's on 12 inch centers to support the roofing. Install braces between the outside 2x4 and the posts to stabalize the structure. The frame dimensions should be such that the roofing overhangs the framing at 1 inch on all 3 sides. Remember that you need to put the top end of the roofing under the present roof to prevent leaks between the old and new area.

Old 10-04-06, 07:55 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thats Right , Theres No Need For Walls Because Theres A Fence On Two Sides Where I Want To Construct This. I Some What Had An Idea Of What And How I Was Going To Do This But I Just Wanted Some Insite.what You Suggested Sounds Like A Very Good Plan, And I'm Good To Go . Thanks So Much For The Plans Wirepuller38.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: