How to attach garage gable trusses

Old 10-13-06, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question How to attach garage gable trusses

Hi all,
I am planning to build a 20x20 double garage with pre-made 8/12 pitch roof trusses. The roof is gable.
I bought the whole package from Home Hardware.
I will ask for help from several friends.
I am just wondering what is the best way to attach roof trusses?
I mean what is the best way to get the trusses up to the walls and nail them?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-06, 01:58 PM
Wink

Lay them up on top of the walls spaced out all the way to the end. Swing up the first one and brace it. swing up the next one and tie nail it to the first and so on down the line. Or one by one lay it on the wall and swing up the ridge point.

ED

Old 10-13-06, 02:11 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
Lay them up on top of the walls spaced out all the way to the end. Swing up the first one and brace it. swing up the next one and tie nail it to the first and so on down the line. Or one by one lay it on the wall and swing up the ridge point.

ED
Thank you very much for your quick reply.
One more question, how do you tie nail two trusses together?
When all the trusses are laid on top of the walls, they end up lying one on-top-of the next, right? The bottom one which will be the first one to lay down will lie one the rear wall with two ends on left and right walls, right? If I want to put up the first truss from the front.

It is really enlightening!

Once all trusses are up, is there any alignment I need to do before attaching ladders?

Old 10-13-06, 02:21 PM
Wink

Have lot of scrap to tack nail them just down from the ridge on both sides You want a say 8' 2x 4 the be at the top of the ridge of the first and last truss and run back down to another truss at the ceiling line Plum the out side trusses and nail this 2X 4 to the other truss it hits. This is like a sway brace.

ED

Old 10-13-06, 04:17 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Garage roof trusses

Lay out the spacing on the top of both walls.

Before installing the first truss, make a stabilizer out of two 12 foot 2x4's by nailing them together with the edge of one to the flat side of the other for stiffness. Nail this stabilizer on the outside of the closed end of the garage at the center of the wall with the top end high enough to reach the top most point of the first truss. Nail securely to the end wall. This stabilizer will be removed after the roof sheathing is installed. Attach the top of the first truss to this stabilizer, making sure the truss is plumb.

Alignment is accomplished by stretching a string where the ridge will be or along one side at the end of the "tails".

Start installing trusses at the closed end of the garage. Hang the trusses upside down on the side walls and tilt up into position with the aid of a 2x4 with a short "Y" at one end to hook into the top of the truss when it is tilted up into position. Do one truss at a time. Do not hang them all at once. Three carpenters work best. One at each wall and the third at the center. Brache the second and succeeding trusses to the first and to each other. After four or five are installed attach diagonal braces from the ridge to each wall. You cannot use too much bracing.