Framing a carport

Old 11-15-06, 07:32 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Framing a carport

I have a post-and-beam (I think that's what it's called) carport that I want to enclose. It's about 22 x 40 feet on a concrete pad. One end bay is an enclosed shed with framed plywood walls on all sides. The other 3 bays are open. The gable roof over the open 3 bays and the the framed end is supported by six 6x6 posts, three on each side. The shed is 2x construction. The far end is a framed wall with large lattice-covered windows, no glass.

There's considerable rot on the exterior plywood at both ends and I would like to dismantle, evaluate, restore, and insulate the two end walls before starting to frame in the open bays.

My question is whether there is a risk of the thing falling down if I remove the end-wall plywood to get at the framing there, especially if the framing turns out to be rotten? Or are the 6x6 posts (which are solid) supporting the structure adequately? In other words, will major structural support be lost when I remove the plywood from the end walls?

Can send photos if desired.

Steve

Old 11-16-06, 12:55 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Without seeing it, I would say there is a risk, although a small one. If I were to do it, I would replace one or two sheets at a time to minimize the risk. You could always put in some temporary 2X4 supports on the outside to hold it square while you're working.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: