garage door won't open

Old 11-28-06, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
garage door won't open

I had to pull the cord to open my garage door to get it open and now it's quit working! I have no idea what happened but it just buzzes when I push the button. It looks like after I'd pulled the cord, it didn't snap back into place like it should (??). Don't know anything about garage door openers - guess I should learn!! Can someone tell me how to make it snap back into place so I can see if the opener will work again? Or do I just need a new one? It's probably 20 years old anyway (guessing)

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-06, 11:45 AM
Wink

Could need a new one. But try and pull that rope
some moreyou have to like pull it back or some pull it forward. So it will go back UP in there and catch the door when you lift it up to the catch.

Old 11-28-06, 09:01 PM
Hi Micha - What brand of door opener? Is it chain or screw drive?

Old 11-29-06, 04:55 AM
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc View Post
Could need a new one. But try and pull that rope
some moreyou have to like pull it back or some pull it forward. So it will go back UP in there and catch the door when you lift it up to the catch.

I did that -- the rope came off! ha! I tied it back on but I can't pull it anymore. I can see that the thing that slides on the rail isn't as far forward (toward the door) as it should be.

Old 11-29-06, 04:58 AM
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell View Post
Hi Micha - What brand of door opener? Is it chain or screw drive?
Hi! It's a Sears Craftsman chain driven.... I called Sears - they want 60 bucks just to come look at it - plus whatever they do to fix it. Lowes has a Genie on sale for 138 - thought that might be a better option - no telling what total cost would be by the time Sears is finished with it! -- course, I still have to pay for installation so maybe not??

Old 11-29-06, 11:00 AM
did you push the door against the latch hard enough for it to snap back in place? if it isnt latched to the drive, it wont operate automatically. it should go up and down manually though.

Old 11-29-06, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by kerry View Post
did you push the door against the latch hard enough for it to snap back in place? if it isnt latched to the drive, it wont operate automatically. it should go up and down manually though.
Hi Kerry -- I'm pretty sure that's the problem... the door isn't latched, but I can't pull the thing back any further ... like it's hung up on something. I've opened the door manually before and didn't have this problem, so maybe if I just open it and close it again, it will snap back!

I got a guy coming out tomorrow to give me an estimate on (much needed) new bottom panels for my door -- maybe he can tell me why it won't snap back into place.

Old 03-06-08, 11:29 AM
Good Old Sears! My Carftsman GDO ;just did the same thing but it clicks now instead of your buzzing. I am not working and can't afford a repair man. If you find anything out, could you let me know too?

Old 03-07-08, 07:30 AM
I bought a new one, but I also discovered that my electrical outlet was a problem -- had to get an electrician for that.
Hope you've solved your problem by now -- good luck!

Old 03-07-08, 06:44 PM
Sounds to me like the Nylon gear inside of the unit is stripped.....Pretty easy to fix..... If you pull the cover off you'll see lots of white shavings and a gear that has flat spots.......

Old 04-22-08, 05:38 PM
LiftMaster 1250 series Garage door opener not working

My husband replaced the white plastic gear that had shredded and put the box back together. The door worked but would stop at a certain point. After readjusting the chain manually the door operated properly and we put the tools away, olny to find that was a temporary fix. Now the light goes on and the motor hums, but the door won't open. Any suggestions?

Old 04-24-08, 09:25 PM
That's what it sounds like when the gear strips out??? Highly doubt that after one use.
A common problem after a gear change is people don't sync the gear into the limits.
When your gear goes out the gear limits spin freely. When you hook the chain back up the operator doesn't know where you want it to stop or go. It's going to where it's limits are set. First remove the chain from the operators back gear. You'll have to loosen the chain of course. With the chain off, activate the operator button & let the
motor run all the way down. It will shut itself off when it reaches it's up or down limit. (watch the gear & determine if it is at it's top or bottom position). You want it at the bottom. Now put the chain back on with the door in the down position with the trolley hooked back up to the door. Now your door is down & so is your operator limits. This will have your limits pretty darn close. You'll probably need to readjust the limits for fine tuning up & down. I am assuming you have a chamberlain product. There are holes in the operator case to access the adjustments. Good luck

Last edited by THEDOORGUY; 04-24-08 at 10:02 PM.