Basement under garage..spancrete cost?

Old 01-06-07, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone, been awhile since I posted here. If anyone remembers I was getting ready to build a house last year. Didn't happen. I'm still thinkin' about it tho.

Anyway, about spancrete. Just wondering if anyone would have ANY idea how much it would cost to have spancrete used in a 35' x 25' garage so a basement can be put underneath the garage.

I was also wondering what would arise when using spancrete, like..

1. How do you keep 1st floors and basement floors on the same plane?

It seems you would lose 1 to 2' of ceiling height under the garage as garage floors are usually 1 to 2' below main floor. Not sure how all this would tie together.

2. How many posts(or whatever they use to support spancrete) would be needed?

The house would be a simple ranch home with a 3 car garage. Reason I want the space under the garage is for a nice woodworking shop.

In reality would it be cheaper to put in the basement under garage or just put up an out building? With an out building tho then I have to heat/cool it, etc. Also pay taxes on it.

Just thinkin out loud, hope someone can point me in the right direction...

Ron

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-07, 05:23 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
1. That's just a matter of detailing. Years ago Minnesota code used to require the garage floor to be 4" minimum below the house floor, but that has gone away. I personally like to see a little bit of difference, but not the 1' to 2' you sometimes see. Sounds like you need to get some help from an architect or engineer to detail this.
2. You won't need any posts, the precast will easily span 25'. You may be able to get by with 8" thick plank, but 12" will probably be more cost effective. The precaster will be able to tell you this over the phone.

The most important thing is making the slab waterproof. What I would suggest, from bottom up, is this: first the precast plank, then a GOOD waterproof membrane like W.R. Grace Bituthene, 2" non-structural concrete topping (sloped to the door or a drain), and finally a good quality sealer. Or better yet, an epoxy coating over the topping. Whatever you do, don't skimp on the waterproofing between the topping and plank; pretty tough to fix that if something goes wrong.

As far as cost, I think you need to talk to a contractor. My guess is that it's going to be a lot cheaper to do the shop under the garage rather than an outbuilding. Some of the additional costs are slightly larger footings, a little more foundation wall from frost depth to basement depth, a little more excavation, etc. But the only way to know for sure is have a contractor price it both ways. Also think about the extra convenience of the shop connected to the house rather than walking thru a blizzard to get to your shop in an outbuilding.

I'm thinking about the same thing you are for my retirement home and the outbuilding was not even a consideration for me. Hope this helped a little.

Old 01-07-07, 10:05 AM

You should not need thicker walls for the Spancrete system. As an example, many hotels/motels use a precast floor system and 8" block walls. These are normally about 30' spans for 8" thick precast. The wall to break the area up is usually a wrinkled tin stud wall.

There are some homes built with the same floor system for the first floor. It usually gives you a wide open basement with no columns. In this case, the weight of the concrete plank actually makes the walls stronger to resist the soil loads. Nothing is cheaper than wood, but this sure beats it down the road.

Dick

Old 01-07-07, 10:53 AM
Thanks Bruce.

Everything you said makes sense. I do think it would be cheaper than putting up an out building. I'll keep hunting down information and keep posting what I come up with....

Ron

Old 10-27-13, 10:52 AM
Ron,
Did you ever figure out costs to build your garage with spancrete and basement space underneath? I'm curious about rough costs for a similar project.
-Irestone

Old 10-28-13, 10:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
Irestone - STUB has not logged in for nearly five years, you likely will not get a response to this so you may want to start a new thread for your questions.