garage under living space

Old 01-22-07, 04:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
garage under living space

I am planning on building a garage under some living space within the section of an existing basement. I know there are fire wall requirements and that the garage floor needs to slope away from the house. That's all spelled out in the IRC. However I was also under the impression that a curb was required to prevent fuel spills from entering the remaining basement space. Yet I cannot find any reference to that within the IRC. Is there any such requirement? Where can I find it?
Many thanks.

Old 01-22-07, 05:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Check with your local permit/inspection office. They should be able to inform you what they require and/or enforce.

All the new houses I've painted with garage in the basement either had a complete level slab with an unfinished basement or a 4" [approx] lower garage area when the basement is finished. I don't know what the specs are for converting an already existing space.

Codes and enforcement can vary greatly in different locales - that is why it is best to contact your local zoning dept, after all they [including inspector] have the final say.

Old 01-25-07, 11:04 PM
C
Rule of thumb is a four inch curb or below top of foundation when a garage is attached or inside a living space. Weather the code calls for one or not it is a good idea to keep flammable solvents from soaking into the wood wall bottom plates.

Old 01-26-07, 05:21 AM
Thanks to both of your for your feedback. This will help me a lot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: