Garage Door Opener not working, please help

Old 02-20-07, 08:33 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garage Door Opener not working, please help

My Craftsman garage door opener is not working. I took the Garage Door unit down and tested it. Everytime I press the remote/wall switch, the motor only runs OPEN/UP direction. Limit Switch Assembly spins upto UP direction and stops. The motor does NOT spin CLOSE/DOWN directon. I replaced the gear, plastic wheel and it still only runs up direction. What could be the problem, please help. Thanks!!

Last edited by Dinomon; 02-20-07 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-20-07, 04:15 PM
J
See my reply to your PM.

Old 02-21-07, 03:28 AM
Received 42 Upvotes on 41 Posts
same here, check your pm. Or next time just post it in the open forums

Old 02-21-07, 04:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 266 Upvotes on 217 Posts
Originally Posted by Doorman2722
next time just post it in the open forums
As per the response I sent to the PM I received.

Bill or Dinoman, how about posting an answer here for everyone's benefit?

Old 02-21-07, 05:09 AM
D
three things come to mind,
(1) if your unit has eye sensors, they are not hooked up or mis-aligned
(2) You need to check the RPM sensor (it is located on the end of the motor shaft) make sure it is clean and plugged in. there is a little black disc with slots in it that rotates through a sensor. It is part of the safety reverse system, that reverses the door when it hits an obstruction. .Some times those little plastic (snow) pieces get into the RPM sensor and give it a false trip. Remove the black rotating disc on the end of the motor shaft and clean it out. If the RPM sensor is bad the car will travel about 6 inches then reverse back to where it was located
(3) The motor head is out of timing with the door. With the door down and the arm all hooked up, Remove the chain from sprocket, run opener, watch which way it is rotating, run it to it's down limit (clockwise looking down on it) Install chain on sprocket.
---------------------------------------
1. the unit still doesn't do reverse (down) with or without eye sensors..
2. I checked/cleaned the RPM sensor. but don't know if it needs to be replaced.
3. I took the chain from sprocket and tested manually by pressing the remote and wall switch, still run up.. it only goes one direction..

Last edited by Dinomon; 02-21-07 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-21-07, 05:15 AM
D
reply from Just Bill

this was the PM from Just Bill

Originally Posted by Just Bill
Does your door have blockage sensors at the bottom of the door?? If it is newer than 10-12 yrs it does. They are there to sense something than might be injured or damaged if the door were to close. What you describe sounds like something is blocking the sensors indicating a problem or a bad sensor/broken wire or simply misalignment. There is a light(LED) on each sensor, one is the tramsmitter one is the receiver. If the sensors are in alignment, both lights will be lit steady. If on is lit and one is blinking, that indicates a problem, as above. If one is not lit, there is likely a broken wire. None of this has anything to do with the drive unit, except the drive unit will not work unless the sensors allow it. If a blockage is sensed, the door will only go up. Momentary pushing the down button will do nothing, holding it will allow the door to come down. Hope this helps.

Old 02-21-07, 01:29 PM
D
Not Reverse

I tried all those.. I took down the GDO unit to the floor and tested it. Everytime I press the remote/wall remote, the motor only runs UP direction. Limit Switch Assembly spins upto UP direction and stops. If I remove the Limit Switch Assembly (LSA), then it'll keep running UP direction till I press the remote again. No matter what, the motor does NOT run DOWN directon. First I thought it was the wheel/gear, so I replaced them and didn't fix the issue. I even hooked up everything back as normal to ceiling with everything connected and it still only go up direction. Both eye sensors are working as it should be. But for some reason, the motor doesn't get a signal telling it to do reverse. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure if any of these can cause the issue: the big Relay (PC board); or Limit Switch Assembly; or PRM Sensor. Thanks a lot in advance!!

Old 02-21-07, 02:33 PM
Make sure all 3 wires are attached to the limits assembly. one on each end and one in the middle that travels back and forth on the smaller worm gear. run the opener with the wall button and eye sensors hooked up. when it runs to the up position(that would be counter clockwise looking down on top of the sprocket) check and see when the motor stops, if the lightbulb flashes about 5 or 6 times or if there is no light bulb in it, listen for a relay clicking. then push and hold the wall button and see if you can get it to run the other way (clockwise looking down on it) then post back here

Old 02-21-07, 03:30 PM
D
Doorman, all wires are connected. If the door is in close position with chain attached, then it OPENs all the way up. But when I click to go down, it just stays there (no up or down), i hear a relay click sound.

Old 02-21-07, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by Dinomon
Doorman, all wires are connected. If the door is in close position with chain attached, then it OPENs all the way up. But when I click to go down, it just stays there (no up or down), i hear a relay click sound.
does it just click just once or is the relay clicking several times?
And did you try pushing and holding the "wall" button? (with opener at the up position and trying to close)

Old 02-21-07, 03:41 PM
D
does it just click just once or is the relay clicking several times?
And did you try pushing and holding the "wall" button? (with opener at the up position and trying to close)
Thre relay clicking few times...

I tried pushing and holding the "wall" button with opener at the up position.. but it doesn't close. Just stays there..

Old 02-21-07, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Dinomon
Thre relay clicking few times...

I tried pushing and holding the "wall" button with opener at the up position.. but it doesn't close. Just stays there..
If the relay is clicking (and the light bulb is flashing)5 or 6 times then it is indicating an eye sensor problem (I.E. not hooked up or misaligined) however by holding the wall button (not the remote) it will over-ride the eye sensors and run it to the down position. If it will not run down by holding the wall button then I would have to say there is a problem with the circuit board or some kind of mechanical jam not allowing the motor to turn the other way. was this the original problem before you changed the gear assembly? if so, it is probably a circuit board. Cost is about $85 (might better buy a new opener)

Also if you still have the chain hooked up, make sure the trolly car is not jammed against the bolt on the rail, located just in front of the motor head

Old 02-21-07, 09:27 PM
D
it was the circuit board.. I took the board off the unit and the down relay's solder joint came out.. so I resoldered that particular joint and put everything back.. guess what, now the garage door opener goes up and down... so I adjusted the Limit Switch Assembly.. first few times, it worked as normal..

then I tried to close later on, it goes 2-3 feet down and goes back up.. Why is it doing that?

Last edited by Dinomon; 02-22-07 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-11-07, 06:13 PM
J
Question need help with GDO drive gear

Hi, I recently replaced my craftsman 1/2 hp chain drive GDO's worm gear and drive gear assembly, because it was stripped. It has only been about 1 month, and The new gear assembly is almost completely stripped again( probably only has 1-2 more weeks left in it.) The garage door goes up and down fine, starts/stops where it should. Everything looks aligned, any ideas on why this would happen with a new gear. Please give any advice you might have. - Jeff

Old 03-12-07, 03:28 AM
Originally Posted by jgbrooks42
Hi, I recently replaced my craftsman 1/2 hp chain drive GDO's worm gear and drive gear assembly, because it was stripped. It has only been about 1 month, and The new gear assembly is almost completely stripped again( probably only has 1-2 more weeks left in it.) The garage door goes up and down fine, starts/stops where it should. Everything looks aligned, any ideas on why this would happen with a new gear. Please give any advice you might have. - Jeff
Did you use the grease they sent with it to lubricate it? Is the door out of balance? (heavy) did it freeze to the ground?

Old 03-12-07, 05:38 PM
J
Question craftsman garage door reply

The door never froze to the ground. even from when I first installed it, I could see little specs of white drive gear coming off. I did use the grease. How do I know if the door is out of balance. It does not seem to hard to open and close if thats what you mean.

thanks, Jeff

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: