Is a 6' 6" garage door too small

Old 02-23-07, 10:14 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is a 6' 6" garage door too small

We have a carport we are thinking about converting to a garage. We have to do some modifications to allow us to walk into our house from the garage. The garage will be about 19.6 x 19.6 wall to wall. We have a Honda Odyssey and Acura TL and it appears both will fit. Our roof line slopes down and goes from about 14' down to 7 feet. I had an overhead door company come out over a year ago and he said I could fit an 18' wide door but I could only get it in 6' 6" height and use the low headroom kit. I really don't want a 16' door as I think my wife will hate pulling in and out . My other option would be to possibly do 2 doors. I could make one door 8-10' feet very easily and the other door 6'6". Would this look funky? I'm having the project priced by a few contractors to see if it is even worthwhile from a money standpoint. Thanks

Old 02-24-07, 06:47 PM
If 6' 6" is tall enough for your cars.. then it's high enough. With a 7' ceiling, that gives you 6" of headroom. Should be plenty IF the door company you use knows what they're doing. Be sure to specify in the contract that the opened door is going to provide you with every inch of that 6' 6" opening.

The problem with low-headroom door installations is that sometimes, the door (in the open position) will end up being a few inches below the top of the opening. The type of door you use can also cause a problem. Some doors require struts (metal supports) or other hardware that could hang below the door opening's height.

If you go with a double car width (16' -18') and install an opener, the connecting arm will fall near the center of the door and about 5" lower than the door (when it's up)... right between your two cars. Not a problem for folks under 6' tall, but everyone else will hit their head.

It's not that uncommon for two different heights of doors side by side. Having the second door 8' (or more) high may even help should you decide to sell the house later on.

Just make sure you get it in writting from the door guy so your 6' 6" opening doesn't become 6' 2".. or less.

Old 02-25-07, 04:55 AM
C
First of all, if you're going to live there 15+ years, if you don't mind how it looks then I would go for it.

They do make 18' wide garage doors that could fit if your situation allowed. I do believe they are pretty pricey, but I don't know what "pretty pricey" is. That being said, most people that I know don't mind pulling in and out of a 16' wide door. The cars end up in the garage in a V shape to be able to open the doors.

I did this with a full size truck and a mid-size car for years. When we bough our house situations dictated that I put in 2 doors due to the garage configuration. There was a post that turned our 16' door into 2 8' doors essentially. Well, my truck is 7'10" mirror to mirror so I just wasn't going to do that every day.

Old 02-25-07, 02:21 PM
C
[QUOTE=chandltp;1132305]First of all, if you're going to live there 15+ years, if you don't mind how it looks then I would go for it.

They do make 18' wide garage doors that could fit if your situation allowed. I do believe they are pretty pricey, but I don't know what "pretty pricey" is. That being said, most people that I know don't mind pulling in and out of a 16' wide door. The cars end up in the garage in a V shape to be able to open the doors.

{/QUOTE]

Yea, it don't know if our configuration will allow 2 doors based on a retainer wall we have in front of the carport. Also, pulling in at a "V" would be difficult based on how we would not to pull in as well. Nothing seems easy.

Old 02-25-07, 02:53 PM
C
Maybe I should I ask, what is recommended (cost removed from the decision) is 1) Is an 18' wide door that can only be 6' 6" more desireable than a 16' wide by 7' tall? Since I really can't pull in straight and then angle at a "v" on one side of the garage I have a feeling the 18' would be better but then again 6' 6" doesn't seem to be that desireable. I know our Minivan will fit and when I thought about doing this a year and half ago we had a Tahoe and it was 6' 3" so it would have fit but would have been tight. Thanks

Old 02-25-07, 04:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 844 Votes on 774 Posts
When you are used to an 18' garage door, the 16 footers really stink. I put an 18' door in for my folks and it's great. You have plenty of room left, right and between the cars. Doesn't feel cramped at all.

As long as the cars fit under the opening, what difference does it make if you've got 3" of clearance over the door or 9" of clearance? I suppose a few vehicles might not fit in a 6'6" opening, but I can't see it being a problem for resale value or anything. I'm not sure why you mention 6'6 though. I've only seen garage doors in 7 and 8' heights.

Old 02-25-07, 06:14 PM
C
Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
When you are used to an 18' garage door, the 16 footers really stink. I put an 18' door in for my folks and it's great. You have plenty of room left, right and between the cars. Doesn't feel cramped at all.

As long as the cars fit under the opening, what difference does it make if you've got 3" of clearance over the door or 9" of clearance? I suppose a few vehicles might not fit in a 6'6" opening, but I can't see it being a problem for resale value or anything. I'm not sure why you mention 6'6 though. I've only seen garage doors in 7 and 8' heights.
The 6" 6" is due to the fact that my roof line slopes down and to fit an 18' wide door I can only go 6'6" using a low headroom kit at the one side of the carport where the ceiling is not that tall (under 8')

Old 02-26-07, 07:15 AM
B
a 16' door isnt that bad. We park my fiancee's mid size car and my Super Duty Crew Cab with the trailer tow mirrors on it. Its a 3 stall garage though and i pull in at an angle and then get straightened out and then pull back out at that angle. 6'6" door wouldnt be that bad. After i got the door jambs put in, i only have 6'-10 1/2". My truck barely fits under that. Clears by about an 1". Of course the paint is all scratched from the antenna scraping on the top door jamb.

Old 02-26-07, 09:44 AM
C
Originally Posted by black95gt View Post
a 16' door isnt that bad. We park my fiancee's mid size car and my Super Duty Crew Cab with the trailer tow mirrors on it. Its a 3 stall garage though and i pull in at an angle and then get straightened out and then pull back out at that angle. 6'6" door wouldnt be that bad. After i got the door jambs put in, i only have 6'-10 1/2". My truck barely fits under that. Clears by about an 1". Of course the paint is all scratched from the antenna scraping on the top door jamb.

If I had that much room to wiggle I would agree a 16' would work. However, I only have 19' 6" of width and only about 20' of depth. Due to the house and how everything was built I will have a hard time expanding this so I am almost stuck with what I have. I could extend the garage at the entrance by 2-3' but this may make the project undoable due to the expense of adding more depth. Adding width is not an option. Thanks for all the feedback thus far.

Old 02-26-07, 06:19 PM
M
Do check building codes before deciding on 6'6", some municipalities have building codes setting minimum heights on garage doors...

Locally we have a set height for commercial parkades, and there's been some rumblings about that being applied to residential as well.

Personally, although another person here says it's possible - I would try to avoid leaving yourself less than 9" of headroom, keeping 12" would definitely be preferable.

When you start getting into the minimums, you start having headaches of fitment, you limit yourself on options and the price generally exponentially increases as headroom decreases. Those ultra low headroom systems (under 9") also tend to become maintenance issues.

18 x 6'6 is definitely possible - I could source that sizing from 4 different suppliers... However - IMHO the door looks a bit unbalanced as you've generally got 2 19's and two 21" sections. No matter how you stack it - it just looks off...

Old 02-26-07, 09:04 PM
C
Originally Posted by MoreBeer View Post
Do check building codes before deciding on 6'6", some municipalities have building codes setting minimum heights on garage doors...

Locally we have a set height for commercial parkades, and there's been some rumblings about that being applied to residential as well.

Personally, although another person here says it's possible - I would try to avoid leaving yourself less than 9" of headroom, keeping 12" would definitely be preferable.

When you start getting into the minimums, you start having headaches of fitment, you limit yourself on options and the price generally exponentially increases as headroom decreases. Those ultra low headroom systems (under 9") also tend to become maintenance issues.

18 x 6'6 is definitely possible - I could source that sizing from 4 different suppliers... However - IMHO the door looks a bit unbalanced as you've generally got 2 19's and two 21" sections. No matter how you stack it - it just looks off...
I had Overhead door come out tonight. My 3 options are 1 9' x 8' door and 1 8' x 6'6" door, 1 18' x 6' 6" door or 1 16' X 7' door. He recommends based on the roof pitch, and the 14' peak at the highest point on my sloping roof line that I go with option 1, followed by option 2 and then option 3. I agree as well at this point. Thanks for the feeback

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: