Garage door enclosure

Old 02-27-07, 10:28 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door enclosure

Hello, I'm getting ready to undertake the enclosure of our garage. It is rather large attached garage. The house and garage sit on a slab. On the existing exterior walls, the footer sets on about a 5" or 6" high, 5" or 6" wide stip of concrete that is around the entire parimeter of the house and garage. Where the garage door meets the ground, there is no concrete footer, however, the ground slightly slopes downward toward the outside of the garage. The is about a 3/4" space between that space and the actual drive way. My question is, should I have the concrete cut there at the entrance, and have a new footer poured with retaining bolts installed to facilitate the new wall going up, or, would it be possible to build up directly on that slant where the garage door rest? Maybe install and initial angled footer to comphensate for the angle bringing it level, and securing it with an impact hammer, or concrete screws. Any help would be appriciated. Thank you. Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-07, 04:08 PM
I am really having a hard time understanding your problem. You said there is no concrete form where you want your door to be. There should not be one there. You say you have questions about building on that area. You don't build on that area. You say there is a 3/4" gap where your door hits the ground and your asphalt driveway. There is supposed to be one. So my question is what is your real question. Maybe I am missing something here.

Old 02-28-07, 04:03 AM
Received 22 Votes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack the Contractor View Post
I am really having a hard time understanding your problem. You said there is no concrete form where you want your door to be. There should not be one there. You say you have questions about building on that area. You don't build on that area. You say there is a 3/4" gap where your door hits the ground and your asphalt driveway. There is supposed to be one. So my question is what is your real question. Maybe I am missing something here.
He is removing the garage door and enclosing the opening. wants to know if he can build from the floor or should he poor a curb to match the rest of the foundation.

Old 02-28-07, 08:39 AM
Thanks doorman. Now I have the full picture. I would probably pour myself a footing across the opening of the door, making sure i had both ends sealed so no water can seep in. Make sure you use pressure treated lumber against the concrete, and I would silicone the bottom of the board and edge where it touches the concrete heavily with 100% silicone. Good Luck

Old 02-28-07, 11:01 AM
S
Just Frame it in.

I would just frame in the opening using a PT sill plate and conventionnal framing materials for the walls.

You could cut a bevel on the sill plate to match the slight slope you have where the framed wall would go. If need be, you could double up the sill plate if the bevel is excessive and there isn't a lot of "meat" left in the sill plate after the bevel is cut into it. Secure the sill to the slab with expandable drop in anchors.

Cutting out the slab, pouring a footer and short wall is a lot of work for something that is already being supported by the old garage door header. The wall you are putting in is just a filler and doesn't need a footing.

This is all based on you having a 4" thick slab where the wall goes. I read you post to say the 3/4" measurement is from the exterior face of the garage door to the end of the slab where it meets the driveway. If this is incorrect, let me know.

Old 02-28-07, 07:10 PM
C
Question Thanks Jack & SGTgerryf

I went out to check the space sgtgerryf mentioned. The space is about as wide as my index finger, and between the foundation and the driveway. Down in the crack is what appears to be like a think 1/2" - 5/8" of a felt type board, (absorbtion maybe?). While I was out there I was trying to picture a wall there matched up to the existing wall. If I went the way sgtgerryf recommended, from the outside looking at that side of the house, you would see concrete foundation/PT lumber/then concrete and it would be noticable that a garage door was there at one point in time. Pouring concrete would give the appearance the wall was constructed when the house was built. I was really wanting to avoid busting up the foundation there at the edge. I have no idea how deep to take it. Would it be possible to just rough up the surface, maybe a couple inches deep with a sledge hammer, place some forms, rebarb, maybe drill some holes to insert some bolts to secure a footing. Or, have a professional concrete cutter come out and cut out that opening all the way down? Thanks for you advise.