Detached garage pricing

Old 03-28-07, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Detached garage pricing

I am considering the posibility of adding a 20' x 25' detached garage with foundation/slab, an 18' wide door, trusses, a 6/12 pitch roof, and vinyl siding. Does anybody have any idea as to how much I might expect to pay for this to be done? I realize that depending on which part of the country you live in that the prices could vary considerably. I am in the Philadelphia area and the real estate prices (and contractor's prices) are probably a little higher than most areas. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank You.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-07, 01:53 PM
It does depend on where you are, I would say the best thing to do is get lots of quotes. We had a 24X28 garage built, unfinished inside, footer and pad, 2 doors, detatched and had "estimates" ranging from 27K to 52K (some of the contractors were quite impressed with their work, understand they are busy now, but someday, there will be a slowdown and people will remember them). The bid we went with was the contractor that itemized all the sub bids, material, and profit. It really demonstrated how much the others wished to take advantage of us.

Old 03-28-07, 04:59 PM
A 20 x 25 detached garage is not a high end item. Your concrete will be about $3000 plus any dirt work and sand. The materials will be about $5500 to $7000 depending on some choices you will have to make. The labor should be in the area of $6000 to $7000 dollars. One thing I noticed that you did not mention were any windows, passage doors, or garage door opener, or electrical. I did not include the garage door opener or any electrical in my figures. I did figure in 2 24" x 36" slider windows, and one 36" passage door. Hope this helps. Your garage should be in the $17,000 to $18000 range. Good Luck

Old 03-29-07, 06:32 AM
I just got done with my 24x30 wide garage. It is 7' high with one 16' door and one 8' door, garage door openers and vinyl siding. I have one 36" door and decided to go without windows as there wasnt much point where the garage is located and to make it easier to frame. I have just over $8,000 into it including some specialty tools (framing nailer) and other misc tools. I ran all my electrical myself for about $125. I still have to run a seperate service and connect the electrical which will run about $500. I am running my garage door openers and other power with extension coords at the present time. Once its all said and done, i will have just under $9,000 into it. Of course this is without labor and using a 4" floating slab with 18" reinforced footings. You can go to your Home Depot or Lowes and tell them what you want and they will do a take-off and give a price for material. If your not doing the work yourself, you can probably look in the newspaper classifieds and find someone decent to build it for you for half the price (labor) as a big name contractor. If i were to build my garage for someone, I would charge $4,500 for the labor(not including concrete). I would have someone help with the framing (a day and half) and do the rest myself. It would take about 3-4 weeks to complete.

Old 09-24-08, 09:25 AM
Building a detached garage

Can anyone give me an idea on how much a 24 x 30 detached 2 car garage, with plumbing (hose bib and drain) and electric should roughly cost me.

I am looking for a breakdown as to what the following should cost:

1. Concrete
2. Framing
3. Roof
4. Electric
5. Plumbing
6. Misc. items

Since I am a single woman I want to have a better idea of how much everything should cost me so I don't get scammed.

Thanks

Old 09-28-08, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by mike30 View Post
I am considering the posibility of adding a 20' x 25' detached garage with foundation/slab, an 18' wide door, trusses, a 6/12 pitch roof, and vinyl siding. Does anybody have any idea as to how much I might expect to pay for this to be done? I realize that depending on which part of the country you live in that the prices could vary considerably. I am in the Philadelphia area and the real estate prices (and contractor's prices) are probably a little higher than most areas. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank You.
Just finished a 22x26 detached. Slab, 10/12 pitched roof which gives a huge loft with 8' ceiling,(about 13'x26') I-beam ceiling joists, plywood sheathing, vinyl siding, 18' garage door, all electrical (50 amp subpanel) staircase to loft, insulated, heated, and it was about $35,000. I got lower bids, but none of them would have built anything near this nice. There were no cheap materials used, and it's extremely solid.

Last edited by daymon; 09-28-08 at 05:19 PM. Reason: .