Garage door opener binding, but not when manually opened.

Old 05-03-07, 08:58 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door opener binding, but not when manually opened.

Hey everyone! I've been searching high and low for a solution to my problem but I haven't found one yet.

My garage door is a single car width one peice door (1970s). It has one spring on either side going vertically down by the ground on each side of the door. The door worked perfectly before I purchased the opener and still does if you release the opener and operate the door manually. The rollers roll smoothly and you can release the door at any point and the door will stay at that position and not fall back to the ground.

I purchased a opener from sears and installed it up. When you open the door about 1/3 through the opening cycle the door appears to bind and the rails on either side bend down some and then the door continues past this binding point and finishes opening. If you take one finger and push on the door with very little force as it goes up the symptoms go away totally.

I have tried adjusting the blue screw on the opener to give it too much strength and too little strength with no fix to the problem. I have also tried adjusting the L peice that connects the garage door to the center rail from a real short L to a rediculous long L. That did not seem to change anything either.

Any tips on what else to try? I ruled out springs and rollers only because the door operates fine when I release it from the opener.

It might also be important to note that when closing the door with the opener it is as smooth as butter.

I can also take a video of this happening and post a link to it if a visual reference would help troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-07, 07:58 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Most instructions are for sectional doors. One piece doors need installation modifications.

Check this site. Copy and paste to your browser.

http://www.foothilldoors.com/helpgifs2/jambinstall.html