Genie Opener Again

Old 05-10-07, 08:08 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Genie Opener Again

I have a Genie Intellicode opener that is about 9 years old and after trying many times programed my Homelink in my auto. I may have shorted something out -how I don't know- by pushing Homelink and the code reset button on the opener. The door will oen via the Homelink or hand remote but will not close unless I hold the wall switch in until the door is completely down. If I push the wall button as I normally do, the door will travel down about a foot and then reverse. I do not see the red or green lights on or blinking when I block them so I thought they were out. I read where one can take a 9 volt battery and check the lights and both green and red blink. Do you think I may have shorted or hastened the death of a circuit board on the motor assembly? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-07, 04:54 AM
J
Your problem has nothing to do with the programing or the remote. The door sensors are detecting something blocking the door, or a sensor is out of adjustment, broken wire, etc. The lights on both sensors should be lit steady, if not there will be a fault condition and the door will only go down by holding the wall switch.

Old 05-11-07, 06:52 AM
P
Thanks Just Bill, I'll go out this AM and put the sensors back on and run a wire directly from the motor unit and see what happens. There are too many threads on this forum about the Genie opener and subsequent problems, next time I'll either buy an Overheard or Craftsman garage door opener. Thanks again!

Old 05-12-07, 05:32 AM
J
Not sure what you will be trying, but if one sensor is lit, the other is likely the receiver and you just need to re-aim them toward each other, or look for broken wires. As for problems with Genie openers, I have installed them for years with very few problems. I recommend them over the ones you mentioned.

Old 05-12-07, 12:29 PM
P
Thanks Just Bill! I got it fixed. I think they got out of alignment and I tightened the screws on the terminals and it's working great again! Thanks so much!

Old 05-13-07, 06:17 AM
J
That is usually the problem, but sometimes the kids will snag a wire and break it. Glad that worked.