Basically finishing out a "garage"

Old 06-04-07, 03:14 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Basically finishing out a "garage"

I have an out-building behind my house and I think this is the appropriate forum for this question. It has a tin, corrugated roof that is building at about a 30 degree angle. It is nailed directly on the joists, but the joists extend past the walls of the building creating an overhang. Under the joist the walls of building are attached. The result is a joist high gap they invites an endless stream of wasps. I have so many I basically cannot use the building. I've tried traps and sprays, but there is always a stray one that returns and they are very aggressive. I need to seal up this gap. Any suggestions or a good basic research book on building the roof to a ceiling?

Old 06-04-07, 03:37 PM
Received 42 Upvotes on 41 Posts
If I understand your description I think you are talking about the "Soffit" That area needs to be filled it with metal, Vinyl or wood. Vinyl soffit is probably the easiest to work with. Make sure it has the holes for ventilation.

See here about half way down the page
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/buildgaragesiding

See here at the bottom of the page for a good picture and description
http://www.make-my-own-house.com/how-to-install-vinyl-siding.html

Old 06-04-07, 03:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
Installing a soffit should help but with all metal roofs there are some gaps that really aren't feasaable to seal up - but it should slow the wasps down some.

Old 06-04-07, 04:49 PM
W
Received 66 Upvotes on 57 Posts
Roof

I think you described the rafters as "joists". Install blocking between each rafter to close the space. Caulk the openings where the corrugations rise and create small openings between the blocking and the metal roofing.

Old 06-08-07, 11:20 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sorry, what do you mean by "blocking"?

Old 06-08-07, 12:39 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
Blocking is inserting a board [usually a 2x] in between your rafters to block the hole. This would be the easiest/cheapest way to close it off although it doesn't allow for ventilation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: