Garage door side clearance.

Old 06-15-07, 09:22 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door side clearance.

I have a new garage with two garage door openings. The garage has a 30" high foundation. The openings were poured at 9' 3". I have attached a 2x4 to each side of the opening.
My question is will I be able to install 9' doors in these openings with only a 2x4 width for clearence on each side? I guess there would normally be 2 2x4s on each side for a 3" clearence, but I would think you could install the brackets right to the concrete or something. I have a garage door guy coming out on Monday to look at it but I wanted to see what you all might think.
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Old 06-15-07, 10:26 PM
Wink

Cant see it . But Id say yes cause you will add to the 2X the edge strip for the doors. Or can add a 1x4 on top on each side also

Old 06-16-07, 03:15 AM
You should not have any problem. A 9' door takes a 9' opening. It should work fine. Good Luck.

Old 06-16-07, 04:58 AM
Received 23 Votes on 23 Posts
I am trying to picture this in my head, If I got your description right, you should be ok as long as the concrete is flush with your wood framing. If it sticks in (I.E. the concrete wall is thicker than the framed wall) you may have a problem. You need a minimum of three inches over door width to fit the door, the rollers and the track in between the concrete blocks, and that's not including the track brackets that anchor it to the wall. They will have to be taken off. Sometimes three inches is too tight, more side room would be better. Can you post a picture?

Old 06-16-07, 06:09 AM
B
Thanks for the replies. Yes Doorman you have it pictured right.
The walls are framed 2x4s and the foundation is 10". So it does stick out.
I thought maybe you could get modified braces for the track for the bottom or something? I'll try to get a picure sent.
Thanks again everyone.

Old 06-16-07, 06:39 AM
B
picture

Here is a link to a picture of the opening.
Thanks

Old 06-16-07, 07:08 AM
C
I can see where you might have a problem with clearance for the tracks. Someone else may be along with another idea, but I'll give you my thoughts.

First, I wouldn't mess with the concrete. There's no need to unless you really need the full 9' for some reason. My rough opening was 8' 11" before I put on the trim boards.

Seeing as how it's only the foundation that's sticking out, I'd install 2 2X4's on each side, and then on the inside put another 2X4 on the flat side. That gives you a spot to put a standard 6" trim board. That's what I did on my garage.

All I needed was the 3" that the 2X4's provided me. You opening won't be a full 9', but the door doesn't care as long as you don't.

Old 06-16-07, 08:48 AM
I will still stick by by previous answer. But maybe I was not clear enough. I would put in either a 2x10 or 2x12 on each side instead of a 2x4. This will give your garage door guy a basis to work off of. You can set the door in like most do, and double your wall from the blocks up. Then by setting the door in, you can just trim out toward the outside the rest of the opening. It will look just fine and your door and track will mount just fine. There are several different ways to do this. Let your garage door installer do it his way.
Have a good day.

Old 06-16-07, 01:07 PM
Received 23 Votes on 23 Posts
It will work if you remove the lower track brackets and tap con the track directly to the concrete. However with only 3 inches over door width, the tracks may be a little tight. Another alternative would be to bring the pads out flush with the concrete, or notch the concrete.

Old 06-16-07, 07:06 PM
B
Thanks for all your replys. It's good to know that something will work.
When I first started building the garage this forum has been an invalulable tool. Everyone is always a great help.
Thanks again!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: