Need help after installing extension springs

Old 07-09-07, 06:19 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Need help after installing extension springs

I have just installed a set of extension springs on my old garage door, and would like to know if I have done it correctly.
The door is an old 7 foot tall wood door with glass panels. When I weighed the door 3 times, the scale showed between 110 and 120 lbs, so I installed 110 lb springs.

After tightening the cables to pickup the springs and remove slack, the door will stay up, but will come down with a slight tug. When I weigh the door with the springs attached, it weighs 15 lbs.

My question, Is this normal? How much should a door weigh after new springs are installed / adjusted. Should I install 120lb springs? Will they springs fail prematurely if they are not supporting the correct weight?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-07, 04:27 AM
J
Basically, once the springs are properly set, the door should weigh almost nothing. If should stay wherever it stops. 110# sounds a bit light for a wood door. If you can't get this adjustment with those springs, get heavier springs. Make sure you also installed safety cables, they keep the springs from flying around the garage in the event they do break.

Old 07-10-07, 07:41 PM
V
Smile

Thank you, this confirmed my suspicions.
I will upgrade my springs.

Thanx again,

Vito