Garage dimensions

Old 07-15-07, 10:27 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage dimensions

I would like to convert my carport to a garage. I have had contractors come out b/c I really want to increase the width but due to my sloping roof line I would have to tear off the roof partially and rebuild. Roof is a 4/12 pitch so the consensus thus far is it will be very costly and more importantly difficult to make look right. I would only gain 5' of width anyways. I can increase the depth to about 28' feet but 3' will be used for stairs so usable car space of 25'. Width as it stands now is 19' 9". I can fit a 17' single door by 7' high. I have strung string up from floor to ceiling to represent where the door will be and we have been pulling in and out and opening doors to see if the width is a problem. It does not appear to be (we have an Acura sedan and Minivan). It will cost in the neigboorhood of $20k to convert. Our house can sell at a price point that garages are 99% of the norm. We build an addition that really increased its value. In addtion, of the 120 homes in our neighborhood about 95% have a garage with the majority being 2 car. Any feedback on the dimensions and whether I should pursue this. Thanks

Old 07-15-07, 12:23 PM
W
Received 28 Votes on 26 Posts
Garage

What is your question?

Old 07-15-07, 04:34 PM
C
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38 View Post
What is your question?
Should I pursue converting a carport to a garage if the width is only 19' 9" and the fact it may cost $15-$20k. Is a garage worth this? Is a garage that is 28'x19'8" worth this?

Old 07-16-07, 06:50 AM
W
Garage Cost

If you plan to live in the house for a long period of time, only you can answer as to the worth to you.

If you plan to sell the house in the near future, then ask your local realtor concerning the added value.

How will the change affect yor property tax?

Old 07-16-07, 05:37 PM
C
I don't know if it will have a big impact on taxes since it is garage space that is converted from a carport. Another contractor came out today. He thinks it would be about $25k more to tear off the roof to gain the extra 5' in width to make the garage 28'deep and 25' wide vs. 28' feet deep and 20' wide. Conversion about $20k. Redo to gain width about $45k. I always like to build as big as I can but as I think about this I have a hard time convincing myself that an extra $25k will be worth it to gain 5' in width in a garage. I do have a shed that houses all my yard stuff. Thanks for any feeback on what you would do if you had this decision to make.

Old 07-16-07, 06:51 PM
C
My garage is 22' outside dimension. I have 2 9' doors on the front and the vehicles are tight in the garage. We have a minivan and a full size truck.

I've put about 15K of materials to rebuild and add an addition. I probably could have rebuilt for around 25-30K doing all the labor myself. I wish I would have rebuilt. I would have had a nicer and much more usable garage. It would have been easier. However finances won out. It's simply a matter for you determine how much a nice garage is worth.

From a resale point, it depends on what the person wants to use the garage for. My garage was storage before I bought the house. Some people just don't care about garages. Then again, it could be a deal breaker for another person.

Old 07-16-07, 09:23 PM
C
Thanks chandltp. Mine is 19'x9" inside dimensions. If I had a few more feet I would convert in a second. It's the 20' that has me concerned even though pulling in and out with our cars for the last 3 days and opening doors has not been a problem. My feeling is the 28' in depth will give me some storage at the back of the gargage. I also have a section under a cantelever that I can use for storage. I thought about going with 2 doors but decided against it. My neighbor has 2 9' foot doors and only 21' 6" in width and he doesn't like it. He said a single door on a narrow garage is much better. You can at least pull one car out to work on the other car in the middle when needed. He can't do that now so he is a little cramped waxing/repairing his cars. Tough, tough decision.

Old 07-17-07, 05:54 AM
W
Garage

I would go for the larger space. You would have more space to store new tools and such. You could even store a bigger lawn mower. You could park larger vehicles. The one door idea sounds like a good one. Good luck with your decision.

Old 07-17-07, 06:43 AM
C
I have a loft with a pole in the center of my garage. Originally I had one door but my garage was divided in 2 unequal parts so I couldn't get anything but a small car in.

I had little choice but to have a center support for the loft, so the 2 doors made it easy to put in a center support in the front of the garage. In addition, the 2 doors made it possible to put a stick built header in. For a 18' span, I would have been required put in a laminated beam since it is a hip roof.

I've had 2 garages with a single door. The first, I had a center support. The second, I didn't and yes I could pull a car in the center of the garage. That is nice when you need to work on a car to your point. I didn't have that option on my current garage though without some major cost or removing my loft.

That being said, I had to back my truck into the second garage so I could get in and out of the drivers door easily because it wasn't quite wide enough. I've never had that problem when I used my dad's garage which is 24' X 24'. If I built a new one, it would be at least 26' wide.

My main garage is 28' deep and that does give me a lot of room in front of the vehicles. I still put a 14' X 22' addition on the back for an antique car and lawn mower storage.

Ultimately it's your decision though. It comes down to cost vs. convenience.

Old 07-17-07, 01:56 PM
C
My neighbor also has a pole in the middle of his garage so a single door would not work either, hence the 2 doors. Also, with the way my driveway slopes down even if I went to the 25' width I could not center the single door and it would have to be built about 6" off one wall. I could do an 18' door if I expanded but then again all the extra space is going to be on one side of the garage. Would make a storage area but would not really give me more car space since I have to hug the one wall. Therefore, I think it comes down to do I want to spend an extra $25k for storage. I have a shed, I have a partially unfinished basement for storage and I have attic space above a bedroom with pull down steps. Thanks so far for everyones input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: