Garage door aluminum panel crack repair

Old 09-12-07, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door aluminum panel crack repair

I am trying to salvage a garage door panel in order to avoid the purchase of two aluminum garage doors and their associated panels. My panels are an out-of-date style and cannot be replaced individually. I have a hairline crack on one panel about 2" to 3" long. With the constant opening and closing of the this particular garage door unit this individual panel and the crack in it will only get worse. I am refurbishing the panel as in the Rocky Mountains we have hard winters and the panels often sit on on ice or icy water for extended periods of time. Once in a while the panel needs to be removed and refinished. I don't want to go thru that effort on this panel and then not be able to repair the hairline crack. Any ideas on how to repair the hairline crack?

Last edited by Silver Fox; 09-12-07 at 04:28 PM. Reason: grammar
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-07, 05:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This thread will be moved, I'm sure.

Is it in the middle of the top panel because a garage door opener put stress on it? The cure for this is a long 'strut' that you drill and screw along the top edge. You can either go the whole 8 or 9 foot length or even 3 to 4 feet is pretty good.

They sell struts at garage door outfits, like Overhead Door Company affiliates, etc.. Or you can buy long pieces of aluminum stock. The pre-made strut gets drilled and screwed horizontally along the very top face of the inside top panel. But if you try to use flat stock and secure this instead, you have the choice of screwing it literally down along the top, or screwed in the spot I just mentioned, regarding the pre-made strut you can buy. A length of angle metal might do it also. You'd screw that inthe spot also like the pre-made strut.

Old 09-12-07, 05:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
This thread will be moved, I'm sure.

Done!

Old 09-13-07, 03:54 AM
The only way I know of to permanently fix tearing metal is to weld it, but that will not be invisible. And welding steel is much easier than welding aluminum, especially thin aluminum. You could try JB WELD epoxy, but from the sounds of the wound, it will only be tempory.

Old 09-13-07, 12:57 PM
His door is a very thin gauge of steel. Not aluminum. ecman had the right idea when he said to get a piece of angle iron and some self tapping screws. I would run the screws through the solid part of the angle and not the holes that should take care of it for alittle while. Eventually it will need to be replaced