Condensation and now ... mold

Old 10-24-07, 02:43 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Condensation and now ... mold

Hey guys, looking for some advice here.

I've obviously done something wrong in my effort to heat my garage. It's a detached, 20x20 with 8ft ceiling. It's completely insulated, including the ceiling. This was done last fall before the snow came so I wasn't able to drywall. The walls do have vapor barrier. The roof does not have vent but the eaves is vented along two sides of the garage.

My heater is a simple 220v electric that is only used when I'm out there working. The problem, there are a number of spots along the walls where the insulation is turning black, and a rather large area on the ceiling insulation that is black. I can only assume that this is mold as a result of condensation. This is where I'm stumped. Agreed, the roof should have a vent but should the eaves ventilation be helping at least somewhat? Also, I can't see how the lack of a roof vent would contribute to the mold on the walls.

I'm stuck here guys and not sure what to do. Should I be pulling the insulation out and caulking all cracks and seams in the walls before re-insulating? I would like to drywall but am hesitant now as I would never have seen the mold if the walls/ceiling were finished.

Old 10-24-07, 04:11 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sounds to me like you need ventilation. Somewhere, there is moisture getting in and the heater is causing it to condense in the insulation. Drywall with a moisture barrier(paint) might help. If an attached garage, 5/8 firecode drywall is required, anyhow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: