Metal Roof Leaking.....

Old 10-27-07, 06:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Metal Roof Leaking.....

I have a 30' X 20' metal outbuilding who's roof was pieced together, horrizontally instead of the usuall vertical, with a 15' sheet of metal and a 16' sheet of metal. Where these two pieces are overlapping, the roof is leaking. What is the most effective way to stop these leaks? Removing the metal and re-installing vertically is not an option. I have purchased some roofing tar in hopes of sealing between the layers and inside the seams on the inside of the structure, although I'm sceptical this is going to work. Any idea's out there? What do you think about the tar? Do you guys think it will work? Thanks in advance............ ALAN

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-07, 06:33 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Roof

What type of fasteners were used to install the metal? Screws with rubber sealing washers are recommended.

Is the "uphill" metal lapped over the "downhill" metal?

Good luck with the repair.

Old 10-27-07, 11:49 PM
The roof is relatively flat from front to back as best I can tell and, yes, the screws with rubber washers were used during installation. However, the washers are pretty old and brittle. I don't think removing them would be a good idea unless I planned to replace them all with new sheet metal screws. Thanks for the reply.

Old 10-28-07, 03:40 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Is this just plain, flat sheet metal installed over some king of sheathing? If so, is it possible to take it off and reinstall? When we do a standing seam roof we use a layer of Ice & Water Shield over the sheathing, a layer of #15 felt (as a bond breaker), then the metal.

Other than that, the very first thing I would do is remove all those screws and replace with new screws with new rubber washers. As far as the lap, I don't think tar would work. Tar gets hard and somewhat brittle when it dries; I would think that as the metal expands and contracts with temperature change, it will break the bond. Try searching some of the metal building manufacturer's sites to see how they seal joints.

Old 10-28-07, 04:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
You might loosen the metal at the overlap joint, use a liberal amount of silicone caulking and then screw it back down tight with new screws. Bad design overall but maybe that will stop the leak.

Old 10-28-07, 06:03 PM
Yeah....... I'm leaning towards the silicone idea between the overlapped layers and a nice thick coat of tar on the inside of the structure, at the seams, and crossing my fingers on this. If that doesn't work, the only alternative is going to be removing the metal completely and reinstalling vertically. But that's a task that will have to wait until next spring. I'll just have to do the best with what I have to work with for now. Thanks for the tips guys. Much appreciated........... ALAN