Need to estimate cost to add garage to existing home

Old 11-25-07, 07:41 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Need to estimate cost to add garage to existing home

I am a would-be homeowner in Tacoma, Washington, and many of the properties I am considering have no garage, or the garage has been converted into living space. Can anybody tell me, within a couple thousand dollars, how much it should generally cost to add a one-car attached garage to an existing home in my area? Would it be reasonable to contact contractors and ask for, say, what they charged for their last three garages, to get an average? All I need is a ballpark figure.

Thanks,

~~Cheryl

Old 11-25-07, 02:01 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Cheryl, It would be more appropiate to call 3 different contractors and ask for a free quote. They would need to come there and see what it will take to do the job. There are way too many variables for me to give even a ballpark figure. The exterior finish on the garage needs to match as close as possible what the house looks like. There alone is one thing that will make a difference in cost. How the roof ties to the house is another area that varies.
Then you get down to if you want heat in the garage either from your exesting heating system or a system just for the garage. The 3 different contractors should all be giving prices on the same style siding and roof and anything else. If it is all the same details then it is easy to compare. If things are very different then then it is hard to compare.

Old 11-25-07, 08:02 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, badeyeben!

Thanks for your advice. Yes, I guess there are a lot of variables. I've been kinda hesitant to get a bunch of contractors out to look at a place I don't even own yet, but that might be just what it takes. I've heard everything from $5K to over $12K, and the reality could be anywhere in between or even more. I also might settle for a detached if that'd be way cheaper. I really need to talk to a contractor about this.

Thanks for replying,

~~Cheryl

Old 11-26-07, 06:39 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Way too complicated for us to answer, getting multiple bids from local contractors is the way to go. If it helps, we had a garage built for one of our units for $6/sq ft labor, we supplied the materials - this is about as low as it gets.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: