Shopping for insulated Garage Doors

Reply

  #1  
Old 11-26-07, 02:44 PM
J
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shopping for insulated Garage Doors

Hi

Our Garage gets very cold in winters and so is the Master Bedroom thats above the garage. I was originally planing to have couple of heating vents added to our bed room but the guy from HVAC company suggested that I first try the insulated garage doors. So I am shopping for insulated garage doors.

I want to know if they really help? And also can anyone suggest some good brands. We live in Virginia.

Thanks
 
  #2  
Old 11-26-07, 04:09 PM
Doorman2722's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 940
Received 26 Votes on 26 Posts
I recommend Raynor or Clopay, Is your garage insulated? Replacing the doors won't do much good unless the whole garage is insulated. Depending on where you live in Va. Apple door is an authorized Raynor Dealer around Richmond and Fredricksburg. see here http://www.raynor.com/ListDealers.cfm?State=va
 
  #3  
Old 11-26-07, 04:40 PM
N
Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face A tip of your expertise

Originally Posted by Doorman2722 View Post
I recommend Raynor or Clopay, Is your garage insulated? Replacing the doors won't do much good unless the whole garage is insulated. Depending on where you live in Va. Apple door is an authorized Raynor Dealer around Richmond and Fredricksburg. see here http://www.raynor.com/ListDealers.cfm?State=va
---> Nothing to do with the above topoic, but I though this will be a positive ways to connect & present my question to you.
---> Recently I nothed that my Garage door (non insulated) was acting out strangely, did open, did not, open half way and rturned and did not, and so on. Tow days ago, finally did try to closed but the door went back up. Few inches movde up or down, but never perforemed right, so I lokked & looked, and found that looking frontways the left hand spring got broken, like when a metal cristals and breaks on a middle separated the piece in two. I leraned from your e-mails in th epast, that is rather difficult & dangerous to replaced the springs and you recommnend to call the Pro's My question is how much money would take to replace it/ or them (both springs), counting the rest of the mechanism is in good shape, metal pieces, electrical & door included. Souther Californian - Fullerton-
 
  #4  
Old 11-26-07, 04:42 PM
J
Member
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wilmington
Posts: 4,214
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I 2nd Raynor, a high quality door(don't buy the cheaper end of any product). But I agree with the above, if the rest of the garage walls do not have good insulation, you could be wasting money. Consider the whole package, bedroom floor (R19+), garage walls(R13 for 2x4 wall), garage door(s).
 
  #5  
Old 11-26-07, 04:57 PM
C
Member
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,928
Received 132 Votes on 106 Posts
I have Clopay mid range insulated doors up here in the chilly NorthEast. I am not impressed.

If your garage is uninsulated and unheated adding insulated doors will have litle effect.
 
  #6  
Old 11-26-07, 09:14 PM
L
Member
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Medford, NY
Posts: 149
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cwbuff I have Clopay mid range insulated doors up here in the chilly NorthEast. I am not impressed.

If your garage is uninsulated and unheated adding insulated doors will have litle effect.
I disagree. The purpose of a insulated door is to help keep any heat in the garage. An uninsulated door will actually wick any cold or heat into the garage. Adding insulation to the same door will help stop the 'wicking'. cwbuff , remove the insulation and see the difference in the temp of the garage and the sound of the door when it is in motion.

I will say that many of my customers insist on a high r value garage door, with no insulation in the walls of the garage. They think that by installing a high r value door will make the garage feel like the inside of their house on a 20 degree day.

I will also say that higher r-value doors are made with better materials to achieve that higher value. Right now most door manufactures use either a polystyrene board, (good), or urethane injection, (better), method to insulate a garage door.

Every door manufacture has their 'flagship' high end door. They also have their basic 'builders grade' uninsulated door, and a few in-between.
 
  #7  
Old 11-27-07, 04:02 AM
Doorman2722's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 940
Received 26 Votes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by nicramar View Post
---> Nothing to do with the above topoic, but I though this will be a positive ways to connect & present my question to you.
---> Recently I nothed that my Garage door (non insulated) was acting out strangely, did open, did not, open half way and rturned and did not, and so on. Tow days ago, finally did try to closed but the door went back up. Few inches movde up or down, but never perforemed right, so I lokked & looked, and found that looking frontways the left hand spring got broken, like when a metal cristals and breaks on a middle separated the piece in two. I leraned from your e-mails in th epast, that is rather difficult & dangerous to replaced the springs and you recommnend to call the Pro's My question is how much money would take to replace it/ or them (both springs), counting the rest of the mechanism is in good shape, metal pieces, electrical & door included. Souther Californian - Fullerton-
It should be around $80-$100 per spring, that includes labor, It may be different in your area.I recommend changing both springs, the other one is sure to break soon
 
  #8  
Old 11-27-07, 09:59 AM
C
Member
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,928
Received 132 Votes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by LI Tom View Post
I disagree. The purpose of a insulated door is to help keep any heat in the garage. An uninsulated door will actually wick any cold or heat into the garage. Adding insulation to the same door will help stop the 'wicking'. cwbuff , remove the insulation and see the difference in the temp of the garage and the sound of the door when it is in motion.

I will say that many of my customers insist on a high r value garage door, with no insulation in the walls of the garage. They think that by installing a high r value door will make the garage feel like the inside of their house on a 20 degree day.

I will also say that higher r-value doors are made with better materials to achieve that higher value. Right now most door manufactures use either a polystyrene board, (good), or urethane injection, (better), method to insulate a garage door.

Every door manufacture has their 'flagship' high end door. They also have their basic 'builders grade' uninsulated door, and a few in-between.

My comment about the door was for an unheated and uninsulated space. My over the garage shop is heated and well insulated including doubled 6" insulation between the garage ceiling joists. It's toasty all winter. My garage is unfinished and uninsulated. There is no heat to retain. I know for a fact that in the winter the garage temperature is pretty much the same as the outside temp.
 
  #9  
Old 11-27-07, 02:26 PM
J
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, the Garage is insulated not sure whether its R19 or RXX though. I got a quote of about $1500 from Sears Garage Doors for both my Garages. Will Check out the Raynor and Clopay that you suggested.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: