garage divider

Old 12-27-07, 10:48 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
garage divider

I have a large garage that I want to make smaller to heat when I have work to do, plus save on energy costs
I have an idea of maybe a large curtain on a pole or trac with clips to open and close. A large sheet of plastic might be less weigh? It would be 12' high x 24' long.

any ideas

Bill

Old 12-30-07, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Well, you're probably right that the simplest thing would be a curtain. Not sure if you have a tent and awning supplier in your area or not, but a place that will make custom canvas would be the ticket.

I would imagine that a steel cable with turnbuckles on each end would be a good way to make a very tight line for the curtain to ride on.

Another idea would be velcro or snap closures to hold it to the ceiling. Again, a tent and awning store will help you out if you have the exact measurements for what you're trying to do. Some materials have better insulating properties than others, but I'm sure they cost more.

In our unheated warehouse I just drape up a big Sherwin Williams dropcloth and staple it up in the wintertime temporarily. You can also staple a dropcloth to a 2x4 and then screw the 2x4 to the ceiling. I fire up a propane heater now and then and once the room heats up the dropcloth is enough to keep it nice and warm inside.

Old 01-14-08, 10:26 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This was my idea (whenever I get around to it) so its not tested yet.

I was going to permanently attach some tarps to the trusses with a 2x4 wraped up in the bottom of it. Then when I want the wall there just unroll the tarp and the 2x4 at the bottom will hold it to the floor.

Thats the basics of it I have some details that I am still contemplating.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: