steps in erecting a metal carport? whats the correct way?

Old 12-29-07, 04:38 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
steps in erecting a metal carport? whats the correct way?

i have been told a few different thing about how to erect a metal carport. im using 65x65 posts and 15 C Section beams. the carport is attached to the house and measures 5m wide and 19 metres long.

what ive been told
1. cement the posts into the ground leaving bitlonger than required so can be trimmed off later
2. put up the C Section beams from house to posts
3. put up the cross C Section beams

Ive also been told
1. use props and bolt end of C Section to house using props to hold each one up
2. put up the cross C section beams between the ones coming from the house to form the entire roof whilst the whole frame is on props.
3. when frame together and on props, drop a plumb bolt down from the top and dig a hole for the posts then put the posts in.

what is the correct way to erect a carport???

Old 12-29-07, 08:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 990 Votes on 901 Posts
The carports I have worked on, I cemented the posts in first, left them long, connected the beams, cut the posts off, then put on the roof. When you do that you need to be *very* exact in the placement of the beams, since they need to be plumb and aligned perfectly. One mistake and you'll regret it since hardened cement is pretty hard to change.

I'd suggest you use a combination of the methods you mentioned.

First, stake out the whole thing- Try and figure out exactly where the posts will go by using batter boards, stringlines, stakes, measuring every way possible, checking for square.

Dig your post holes, set your posts in the holes, (I make wooden "sleeves" for the posts that slip over the top of the post, slide down to roughly the middle of the post, then I have something to attach to when I stake them up plumb, which takes 2 boards placed at 90 degree angles to one another.)

Once you have all the posts staked up, they won't fall over and you can begin attaching your beams. You'll have the option of moving the posts around and adjusting them for plumb, since you haven't poured the cement around them yet. If you move the post, you'll obviously need to replumb it.

Once all the beams are attached and you have the posts set where you need them to be, then pour the cement around them. Once the cement has set up, cut the posts off flush with the tops of the beams. Use a grinder if needed to slightly recess the top of the post below the beam. That way you won't scratch the roof panels on a sharp edge as you slide them over the beams.

To hold the beams onto the posts temporarily, I strap a 4x4 to the post for the beam to sit on, then bungee the beam tightly to the post.

I've got a few pics from the last one I did, so if you think it would help I can work on uploading them someplace where you could have a look.

Old 12-29-07, 09:50 PM
T
yeah thats giving me some more ideas. if you can post them pics somewhere that would be even better.
thanks.

Old 12-30-07, 01:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 990 Votes on 901 Posts
You can view some of the pics here. (for instructional DIY purposes only)

Maybe you'll get a few ideas just by looking at them. Sometimes a picture is worth 1000 words.

Old 12-30-07, 05:48 PM
T
yep getting a few more ideas from them pics thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: