Does cold affect a garage door opener remote?

Old 01-20-08, 05:18 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does cold affect a garage door opener remote?

My garage door opener has operated reliably for many years - as of yesterday the remotes (neither my wife's nor mine) work, although both doors work from the hard-wired switches. The two openers are "tied together" by one receiver. Neither remote operates either door. I reprogrammed one of the remotes just in case it had lost it's info. It still does not work. The temps have been single digits yesterday and today, does low temperature ever have this effect on remotes? The batteries seem fine, nothing else has changed as far as I know.

Old 01-20-08, 06:13 PM
Received 26 Votes on 26 Posts
It's more likely that your receiver has gone bad if neither remote will activate it, I guess the cold could effect it to, how cold is it in your garage?

Old 01-20-08, 06:21 PM
G
The garage is around 4 or 5 degrees in the morning. When we used to live in Vermont the garage was 20 below some mornings without incident, so you are probably right, I guess the receiver must have gone bad, maybe just a coincident that it happened when it got cold. Guess I need to order a new one. While I'm at it I should probably order a new card too, the light stays on all the time, I was told once that I needed a new card to fix that.

Old 01-21-08, 02:55 AM
Received 26 Votes on 26 Posts
I can''t say if a new circuit board will fix your light problem, it depends on your make and model.

Old 01-21-08, 07:28 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Just wondered if the remotes have an LED indicator light on them which lights when you press the button. If so, do they light? Those frigid temps can really weaken an older battery. I would consider replacing the battery on one unit and see if it makes a difference before going to major repairs.

Old 01-22-08, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
cold

Hi gsquared,

Just a suggestion, cold can do funny things to connections. You might want to loosen and re-seat any connectors or boards before you buy new parts.

Old 01-22-08, 02:58 PM
G
I fixed it

Actually, I remembered how we used to fix bad relays in old cars when I was a teen - I banged the receiver with the back end of a screwdriver a couple of times - works like a charm now. Thanks for the help!

Old 01-23-08, 03:00 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
usually getting a bigger,,,

hammer works wonders :-) reminds me, i have to fix my own garage door when i get back,,, thanks for the reminder.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: