Install a new Garage Door

Old 02-24-08, 11:50 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Install a new Garage Door

I have a 9X8 foot opening. I want to install the garage door so that it goes straight up. I have plenty of head room. I do not want a commercial roll up door. I have purchased a conventional garage door ( Brand New Coplay). Where would I buy the straight track and a garage door opener? Do I need to change the springs?

Thanks for the help in advance

Old 02-24-08, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Contact Clopay, they make vertical tracks just for your application. Did you buy an 'off the shelf' door? You may be better off returning it and ordering the exact same door with the correct hardware. First thing tho, is contact Clopay customer service, they may have a conversion kit for the one you bought.

They have been very helpful to me numerous times in the past.

Hint, they are located in Troy, Ohio. Always seems to have helped me if I check the weather and talk to them nicely. Course, I grew up 5 miles outside of town.

Old 02-24-08, 02:17 PM
Received 42 Upvotes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by mcain
I have a 9X8 foot opening. I want to install the garage door so that it goes straight up. I have plenty of head room. I do not want a commercial roll up door. I have purchased a conventional garage door ( Brand New Coplay). Where would I buy the straight track and a garage door opener? Do I need to change the springs?

Thanks for the help in advance
It is not impossible to do but it will be dificult. Not only will you need new track, you will need different springs, different drums (the spool the cable rolls up on) and longer cable. As Gunguy45 has stated, you are better off taking that door back and buying a full vertical lift door

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: