Garage with flat roof / roof top patio

Old 02-29-08, 06:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage with flat roof / roof top patio

I'm looking at tearing down my deck and building a 24x24 garage with a flat roof to have a roof top patio. Does anyone have any suggestions on best practices?. I've been searching for information on this topic but so many people seem to do this differently. It seems like the best way that I found was to build the garage and put up floor truses 24 on center with a 1/4" slope away from the house, 1 1/8" thick plywood then a rubber roofing material and to use it as a patio I would need a floating deck over this to actually walk on. Does this seem right? Are there any plans I can find like this on the internet to view for building the garage or floating decks?
thanks

Last edited by wishmasstir; 02-29-08 at 07:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-08, 08:47 PM
The trouble here is that soil and organic matter is going to accumulate on the roof membrane. There will be standing moisture and muck ... moss and worms etc... so the roof must be really impervious.

I think the best solution is a continuous fibreglass roof at the greatest pitch possible, and then a level frame supporting modular deck sections (e.g. pallets). This woodwork should allow air circulation, and cleaning by lifting a section and blasting that roof with a hose. The roof membrane should not have posts or screws through it or rot will start there.

If you don't mind a (secure but open-air) carport, then just build a deck and attach PVC panels to the underside, with slope and clearance, again, to blast it clean with a hose.

Old 03-13-08, 01:54 PM
Same trouble as you

wishmasstir,

I am undergoing the exact same project. The garage is about 30X30 and made of block. I was planning on using floor trusses, but I can't find much information on how people are covering flat roof. I really want it to have a patio sort of feel. Have you come up with anything new?

Old 06-11-08, 05:30 AM
My structural engineer and contractor came up with the design with what I wanted it to be. We're doing block walls with a wedged sill plate for the slope of the roof. The 2"x12"x24' joists are hung on the house and a steel beam is going to be installed. 3/4" ply with insulation board ontop then rubber roofing and pavers on the roof.

Old 09-15-08, 05:33 AM
Wishmasstir

I'm thinking about the same project. I own an old commercial building in a small town, and have made the top floor my home. The back part of my building is only one story, so I've built a door to go out to the roof, and eventually I will build a patio out there. I want to put in an outdoor kitchen as well. So good luck on your's and I'll be listening for helpful tips.