Need an opinion on garage size

Old 04-03-08, 11:29 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need an opinion on garage size

Hi everyone,

I am planning a garage build this spring, but am stuck on the size I am going to require.

My lot is only 25ft wide, and local code says I have to stay 2 feet from the property line.. leaving me with a whooping 21' maximum.

The second problem is i am going to have to buy a garage package, limiting me to packages that always seem to go to even numbers.. breaking me down to only 20feet wide.

Is this going to work as a two car garage? Our cars are fairly small (Now). I am thinking I might be able to get a larger door to help compensate.. but still don't know how this is going to work out.

I would value the opinion of anyone who'll give it!

Old 04-04-08, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 49 Votes on 46 Posts
You would need to see a copy of the package blueprints before you can determine what will fit in your space.
The advertised sizes are approximate and do not usually take the roof overhang into account.
The lot clearance requirements have to allow for the overhang.

For sure a large single door might allow you to squeeze two small vehicles in.

Old 04-04-08, 06:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
More than likely the roof on a 20' bldg would have more than a 6" overhang on each side although it may be possible to cut it down so it complies. It's also possible that you could get a variance to allow a wider overhang but you need to know for sure before you start!

IMO a 20' wide garage is only big enough for 1 car [if you plan to do any work on them ] but you should be able to park 2 small cars side by side - you might need to be mindfull of the car doors when you open them.

Old 04-04-08, 06:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Good morning,

Gosh, I know I say this a lot, but you need to check with the permit office, first! Code may say you can build within 2 feet of the property line (Ours is 5 feet), but that may not apply for a garage building that is nearly the size of your house!

There are ordinances about green space and paved area, as well. You can't judge this by the building code alone.

Connie

Old 04-04-08, 06:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 855 Votes on 783 Posts
If the garage can be 20' wide, I'd go for a 18' garage door rather then 16'. Use an LVL header so that it doesn't sag- run the exact sizing past a structural engineer to get his OK. The difference 2' can make is unbelievable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: